Linux-NFS Archive on lore.kernel.org
From: Chuck Lever <chuck.lever@oracle.com>
To: John Gallagher <john.gallagher@delphix.com>
Subject: Re: [RFC-PATCH] nfsd: provide a procfs entry to release stateids of a particular local filesystem
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2019 10:16:20 -0400

> On Sep 16, 2019, at 6:28 PM, John Gallagher <john.gallagher@delphix.com> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Sep 3, 2019 at 6:57 AM Alex Lyakas <alex@zadara.com> wrote:
>> This patch allows user-space to tell nfsd to release stateids of a particular local filesystem.
>> After that, it is possible to unmount the local filesystem.
>
> We recently ran into this exact same issue. A solution along these
> lines would be very useful to us as well. I am curious, though, is it
> feasible to release all state related to a filesystem immediately when
> it is unexported? It seems like that would be ideal from the
> perspective of the administrator of the server, but perhaps there are
> technical reasons why that isn't easy or even possible.

My two cents: I was surprised by Bruce's claim that simply unexporting a
local filesystem does not reliably render it unmountable. IMO that behavior
would also be surprising (and possibly inconvenient) to server administrators,
especially in this era of elastic and automated system configuration.

--
Chuck Lever