Linux-NFS Archive on lore.kernel.org
From: "Goetz, Patrick G" <pgoetz@math.utexas.edu>
To: Benjamin Coddington <bcodding@redhat.com>
Cc: "linux-nfs@vger.kernel.org" <linux-nfs@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: Can we setup pNFS with multiple DSs ?
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2019 15:53:43 +0000

On 6/14/19 5:06 AM, Benjamin Coddington wrote:
> On 13 Jun 2019, at 11:30, Goetz, Patrick G wrote:
>
>> Every so often I hunt for documentation on how to set up pNFS and can
>> never find anything.  Can someone point me to something that I can use
>> to test this myself?
>
> The file Documentation/filesystems/nfs/pnfs-scsi-server.txt in the kernel
> source tree is probably the best source of current documentation, if very
> concise:
>
>      pNFS SCSI layout server user guide
>      ==================================
>
>      This document describes support for pNFS SCSI layouts in the Linux NFS
>      server.  With pNFS SCSI layouts, the NFS server acts as Metadata
> Server
>      (MDS) for pNFS, which in addition to handling all the metadata
> access to the
>      NFS export, also hands out layouts to the clients so that they can
> directly
>      access the underlying SCSI LUNs that are shared with the client.
>
>      To use pNFS SCSI layouts with with the Linux NFS server, the
> exported file
>      system needs to support the pNFS SCSI layouts (currently just XFS),
> and the
>      file system must sit on a SCSI LUN that is accessible to the
> clients in
>      addition to the MDS.  As of now the file system needs to sit
> directly on the
>      exported LUN, striping or concatenation of LUNs on the MDS and
> clients is
>      not supported yet.
>
>      On a server built with CONFIG_NFSD_SCSI, the pNFS SCSI volume
> support is
>      automatically enabled if the file system is exported using the
> "pnfs" option
>      and the underlying SCSI device support persistent reservations.  On
> the
>      client make sure the kernel has the CONFIG_PNFS_BLOCK option
> enabled, and
>      the file system is mounted using the NFSv4.1 protocol version
> (mount -o
>      vers=4.1).
>
> Should we have more than this?

I can't tell if you're being facetious, which is a bad sign.  <:)

Yes, most linux admins are probably not going to install the kernel
source tree looking for documentation.  I personally find that step by
step howto's (even if they don't match my exact use case) are the best
way to get an overview of how to use a tool).  Of course it's free open
source software, so there's no incentive to write documentation, but
I've been doing this for quite some time and (post the sendmail era),
there is a pretty clear correlation between the success of an open
source project and the quality of the documentation that it provides.
Django (for example) is a pointless web framework, in my opinion, but
extremely popular because they took the time to write clear documentation.

Anyway, thanks; this at least gives me a starting point for experimentation.