linux-nfs.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Robbert Eggermont <R.Eggermont@tudelft.nl>
To: Chuck Lever <chucklever@gmail.com>,
Subject: Re: RPC UDP message size limit
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2018 17:26:54 +0200	[thread overview]

> 8KB seems to be a documented limit for UDP.

I tried to find documentation for this limit, but all I found was one
reference to SunOS (of course), because of incompatible network hardware.

The real limit (based on the 16-bit length field defined in RFC 768,
1980) is 65507 bytes (plus headers, for UDP over IPv4).

> However, using TCP would immediately work around the UDP message size
> limit. But perhaps the filer is not allowing a TCP connection for the
> MNT service?

TCP is not working for us at this moment (because of firewalling), so
UDP is used as the fallback (as designed).

In our case, I'ld rather have the fallback fail because of a real
hardware incompatibility than of an artificial software limit... ;-)

--
Robbert Eggermont
Intelligent Systems Support & Data Steward | TU Delft