On Tue, Jun 11 2019, Chuck Lever wrote: > > Earlier in this thread, Neil proposed to make nconnect a hint. Sounds > like the long term plan is to allow "up to N" connections with some > mechanism to create new connections on-demand." maxconn fits that idea > better, though I'd prefer no new mount options... the point being that > eventually, this setting is likely to be an upper bound rather than a > fixed value. When I suggested making at I hint, I considered and rejected the the idea of making it a maximum. Maybe I should have been explicit about that. I think it *is* important to be able to disable multiple connections, hence my suggestion that "nconnect=1", as a special case, could be a firm maximum. My intent was that if nconnect was not specified, or was given a larger number, then the implementation should be free to use however many connections it chose from time to time. The number given would be just a hint - maybe an initial value. Neither a maximum nor a minimum. Maybe we should add "nonconnect" (or similar) to enforce a single connection, rather than overloading "nconnect=1" You have said elsewhere that you would prefer configuration in a config file rather than as a mount option. How do you imagine that configuration information getting into the kernel? Do we create /sys/fs/nfs/something? or add to /proc/sys/sunrpc or /proc/net/rpc .... we have so many options !! There is even /sys/kernel/debug/sunrpc/rpc_clnt, but that is not a good place for configuration. I suspect that you don't really have an opinion, you just don't like the mount option. However I don't have that luxury. I need to put the configuration somewhere. As it is per-server configuration the only existing place that works at all is a mount option. While that might not be ideal, I do think it is most realistic. Mount options can be deprecated, and carrying support for a deprecated mount option is not expensive. The option still can be placed in a per-server part of /etc/nfsmount.conf rather than /etc/fstab, if that is what a sysadmin wants to do. Thanks, NeilBrown