linux-nfs.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Trond Myklebust <trondmy@hammerspace.com>
To: "dwysocha@redhat.com" <dwysocha@redhat.com>
Cc: "linux-nfs@vger.kernel.org" <linux-nfs@vger.kernel.org>,
	"Anna.Schumaker@netapp.com" <Anna.Schumaker@netapp.com>,
	"dhowells@redhat.com" <dhowells@redhat.com>
Subject: Re: RFC: Approaches to resolve netfs API interface to NFS multiple completions problem
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2021 18:50:56 +0000	[thread overview]

On Wed, 2021-03-31 at 14:34 -0400, David Wysochanski wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 31, 2021 at 2:04 PM Trond Myklebust <
> trondmy@hammerspace.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 2021-03-31 at 13:49 -0400, David Wysochanski wrote:
> > > Trond,
> > >
> > > I've been working on getting NFS converted to dhowells new
> > > fscache
> > > and
> > > netfs APIs and running into a problem with how NFS is designed
> > > and it
> > > involves the NFS pagelist.c / pgio API.  I'd appreciate it if you
> > > could review and give your thoughts on possible approaches.  I've
> > > tried to outline some of the possibilities below.  I tried coding
> > > option #3 and ran into some problems, and it has a serialization
> > > limitation.  At this point I'm leaning towards option 2, so I'll
> > > probably try that approach if you don't have time for review or
> > > have
> > > strong thoughts on it.
> > >

> > I am not going through another redesign of the NFS code in order to
> > accommodate another cachefs design. If netfs needs a refactoring or
> > redesign of the I/O code then it will be immediately NACKed.
> >
> I don't think it will require a redesign.  I was thinking more about
> adding a flag to nfs_pageio_add_request() for example that
> would return a different value if coalesce of the page being
> added failed.  So we'd have:
> nfs_pageio_init(): called 1 time
> nfs_pageio_add_request(): called N times, one for each page, but stop
> if
> coalesce fails
> nfs_pageio_complete(): called 1 time
>
> > Why does netfs need to know these details about the NFS code
> > anyway?
> >
> We can probably get by without it but it will be awkward and probably
> not the
> best, but I'm not sure.
>
> I tried to explain below with a problem statement but maybe it was
> unclear.
> The basic design of netfs API as it pertains to this problem is:
> * issue_op(): calls into the specific netfs (NFS) to obtain the data
> from server
> (send one or more RPCs)
> * netfs_subreq_terminated(): when RPC(s) are completed, we need to
> call
> netfs API back to say the data is either there or there was an error

That's a problem. That means NFS and netfs need intimate knowledge of
each other's design, and I'm not going allow us to go there again. We
did that with cachefs, and here we are 10 years later doing a full
redesign. That's unacceptable.

If netfs requires these detailed changes to the NFS code, then that's a
red flag that the whole design is broken and needs to be revised.

--
Trond Myklebust
CTO, Hammerspace Inc