linux-nfs.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Olga Kornievskaia <aglo@umich.edu>
To: Chuck Lever <chuck.lever@oracle.com>
Cc: Trond Myklebust <trondmy@hammerspace.com>,
Subject: Re: acls+kerberos (limitation)
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2019 15:04:33 -0500	[thread overview]

On Fri, Dec 20, 2019 at 1:28 PM Chuck Lever <chuck.lever@oracle.com> wrote:

> >> The buffer is set up in the XDR encoder. But pages can be added
> >> by the transport... I guess rcv_buf->len isn't updated when that
> >> happens.
> >>

> > Here's why the acl+krbi/krb5p is failing.
> >
> > acl tool first calls into the kernel to find out how large of a buffer
> > it needs to supply and gets acl size then calls down again then code
> > in __nfs4_get_acl_uncached() allocates a number of pages (this what
> > set's the available buffer length later used by the sunrpc code). That
> > works for non-integrity because in call_decode() the call
> > rpc_unwrap_resp() doesn't try to calculate the checksum on the buffer
> > that was just read. However, when its krb5i/krb5p we have truncated
> > buffer and mic offset that's larger than the existing buffer.
> >
> > I think something needs to be marked to skip doing gss for the initial
> > acl query?  I first try providing more space in
> > __nfs4_get_acl_uncached() for when authflavor=krb5i/krb5p and buflen=0
> > but no matter what the number is the received acl can be larger than
> > that thus I don't think that's a good approach.
>
> It's not strictly true that the received ACL can be always be larger.
> There is an upper bound on request sizes.
>
> My preference has always been to allocate a receive buffer of the maximum
> size before the call, just like every other request works. I can't think
> of any reason why retrieving an ACL has to be different. Then we can get
> rid of the hack in the transports to fill in those pages behind the back
> of the upper layers.
>
> The issue here has always been that there's no way for the client to
> discover the number of bytes it needs to retrieve before it sets up the
> GETACL.
>
> For NFSv4.1+ you can probably assume that the ACL will never be larger
> than the session's maximum reply size.
>
> For NFSv4.0 you'll have to make something up.
>
> But allocating a large receive buffer for this request is the only way to
> make the receive reliable. You should be able to do that by stuffing the
> recv XDR buffer with individual pages, just like nfsd does, in GETACL's
> encoding function.
>
> Others might have a different opinion. Or I might have completely
> misunderstood the issue.

Putting a limit would be easier. I thought of using rsize (wsize) as
we can't get anything larger than in the payload that but that's not
possible. Because the code sets limits based on XATTR_MAX_SIZE which
is a linux server side limitation and it doesn't seem to be
appropriate to be applied as a generic implementation. Would it be ok
to change the static memory allocation to be dynamic and based on the
rsize? Thoughts?