Linux-NFS Archive on lore.kernel.org
From: Alkis Georgopoulos <alkisg@gmail.com>
To: "linux-nfs@vger.kernel.org" <linux-nfs@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: bindfs over NFS shows the underlying file system
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2019 08:24:14 +0300

I'm not sure if this is an NFS issue, or a bindfs issue, or if I'm not
using the appropriate NFS options.

I export my /home via NFS with:

     /home *(rw,async,crossmnt,no_subtree_check,no_root_squash,insecure)

Inside my /home I'm providing a shared folder with a bindfs mount:

     bindfs -u 1000 --create-for-user=1000 -g 100 --create-for-group=100
-p 770,af-x /home/share /home/share

I.e. this just sets fixed permissions for anything under /home/share.

And finally I mount /home on some NFS client (or on localhost):

     mount -t nfs server:/home /home

The problem is that /home/share on the client doesn't show the bindfs
permissions, but it shows the underlying file system of the server's
/home/share.
The crossmnt NFS option follows submounts with other file systems, but
not with bindfs.

On the other hand, if the bindfs source is on a different file system
than the bindfs target directory, everything works fine (i.e. bindfs
/other/filesystem/share /home/share).

Is there any way to configure either NFS or bindfs, so that this works
when I only have one partition, i.e. when the share is on the same file
system as /home?

If anyone answers, please Cc me as I'm not in the list.

Thank you very much,
Alkis Georgopoulos
LTSP developer