Linux-NVDIMM Archive on lore.kernel.org
From: Dan Williams <dan.j.williams@intel.com>
To: Dan Carpenter <dan.carpenter@oracle.com>
Cc: linux-nvdimm <linux-nvdimm@lists.01.org>
Subject: Re: [bug report] libnvdimm, nvdimm: dimm driver and base libnvdimm device-driver infrastructure
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2020 12:04:15 -0800

On Wed, Feb 5, 2020 at 11:28 AM Dan Carpenter <dan.carpenter@oracle.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 05, 2020 at 11:16:22AM -0800, Dan Williams wrote:
> > Ugh, sorry I thought you were pointing out that there's too many
> > put_device() not the use after free. Yes, the use after free is a bug
> > that needs fixing.
>
> I am complaining about the device_puts...  If we call device_put()
> twice then it cause a problem in __nvdimm_create()
>
> drivers/nvdimm/dimm_devs.c
>    506          nvdimm->sec.flags = nvdimm_security_flags(nvdimm, NVDIMM_USER);
>    507          nvdimm->sec.ext_flags = nvdimm_security_flags(nvdimm, NVDIMM_MASTER);
>    508          nd_device_register(dev);
>    509
>    510          return nvdimm;
>                        ^^^^^^
> If we call device_put() twice then we this pointer within 4 seconds.

"we this pointer"? We "what" this pointer. 4 seconds is relative to a
runtime test case?

...but yes, point taken this looks like an obvious leak in isolation.

>    511  }
>
> The fix is probably to make nd_device_register() return an error code so
> we can do:
>
>         ret = nd_device_register(dev);
>         if (ret) {
>                 device_put(&nvdimm->dev);
>                 return NULL;
>         }
>
>         return nvdimm;

Ok, so this is meant to be mitigated by the fact that all consumers of
nvdimm_create() perform a nvdimm_bus_check_dimm_count() to validate
that device_add() did not fail. The reason for this organization is to
allow nvdimm initialization to happen in parallel.