linux-nvme.lists.infradead.org archive mirror
From: Ming Lei <ming.lei@redhat.com>
To: Damien Le Moal <Damien.LeMoal@wdc.com>
Cc: "linux-block@vger.kernel.org" <linux-block@vger.kernel.org>,
	"linux-nvme@lists.infradead.org" <linux-nvme@lists.infradead.org>,
	Tim Walker <tim.t.walker@seagate.com>,
	linux-scsi <linux-scsi@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [LSF/MM/BPF TOPIC] NVMe HDD
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2020 06:03:28 +0800	[thread overview]

On Wed, Feb 12, 2020 at 01:47:53AM +0000, Damien Le Moal wrote:
> On 2020/02/12 4:01, Tim Walker wrote:

> >> HDD. performance is very sensitive to IO order. Could you provide some
> >> background info about NVMe HDD? Such as:
> >>
> >> - number of hw queues
> >> - hw queue depth
> >> - will NVMe sort/merge IO among all SQs or not?

> >> IO merge is often important for HDD. IO merge is usually triggered when
> >> .queue_rq() returns STS_RESOURCE, so far this condition won't be
> >> triggered for NVMe SSD.
> >>
> >> Also blk-mq kills BDI queue congestion and ioc batching, and causes
> >> writeback performance regression[1][2].
> >>
> >> What I am thinking is that if we need to switch to use independent IO
> >> path for handling SSD and HDD. IO, given the two mediums are so
> >> different from performance viewpoint.
> >>
> >> [1] https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__lore.kernel.org_linux-2Dscsi_Pine.LNX.4.44L0.1909181213141.1507-2D100000-40iolanthe.rowland.org_&d=DwIFaQ&c=IGDlg0lD0b-nebmJJ0Kp8A&r=NW1X0yRHNNEluZ8sOGXBxCbQJZPWcIkPT0Uy3ynVsFU&m=pSnHpt_uQQ73JV4VIQg1C_PVAcLvqBBtmyxQHwWjGSM&s=tsnFP8bQIAq7G66B75LTe3vo4K14HbL9JJKsxl_LPAw&e=
> >> [2] https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__lore.kernel.org_linux-2Dscsi_20191226083706.GA17974-40ming.t460p_&d=DwIFaQ&c=IGDlg0lD0b-nebmJJ0Kp8A&r=NW1X0yRHNNEluZ8sOGXBxCbQJZPWcIkPT0Uy3ynVsFU&m=pSnHpt_uQQ73JV4VIQg1C_PVAcLvqBBtmyxQHwWjGSM&s=GJwSxXtc_qZHKnrTqSbytUjuRrrQgZpvV3bxZYFDHe4&e=
> >>

> >> Thanks,
> >> Ming
> >>

> > I would expect the drive would support a reasonable number of queues
> > and a relatively deep queue depth, more in line with NVMe practices
> > than SAS HDD's typical 128. But it probably doesn't make sense to
> > queue up thousands of commands on something as slow as an HDD, and
> > many customers keep queues < 32 for latency management.
>
> Exposing an HDD through multiple-queues each with a high queue depth is
> simply asking for troubles. Commands will end up spending so much time
> sitting in the queues that they will timeout. This can already be observed
> with the smartpqi SAS HBA which exposes single drives as multiqueue block
> devices with high queue depth. Exercising these drives heavily leads to
> thousands of commands being queued and to timeouts. It is fairly easy to
> trigger this without a manual change to the QD. This is on my to-do list of
> fixes for some time now (lacking time to do it).

Just wondering why smartpqi SAS won't set one proper .cmd_per_lun for
avoiding the issue, looks the driver simply assigns .can_queue to it,
then it isn't strange to see the timeout issue. If .can_queue is a bit
big, HDD. is easily saturated too long.

> NVMe HDDs need to have an interface setup that match their speed, that is,
> something like a SAS interface: *single* queue pair with a max QD of 256 or
> less depending on what the drive can take. Their is no TASK_SET_FULL
> notification on NVMe, so throttling has to come from the max QD of the SQ,
> which the drive will advertise to the host.
>
> > Merge and elevator are important to HDD performance. I don't believe
> > NVMe should attempt to merge/sort across SQs. Can NVMe merge/sort
> > within a SQ without driving large differences between SSD & HDD data
> > paths?
>
> As far as I know, there is no merging going on once requests are passed to
> the driver and added to an SQ. So this is beside the point.
> The current default block scheduler for NVMe SSDs is "none". This is
> decided based on the number of queues of the device. For NVMe drives that
> have only a single queue *AND* the QUEUE_FLAG_NONROT flag cleared in their
> request queue will can fallback to the default spinning rust mq-deadline
> elevator. That will achieve command merging and LBA ordering needed for
> good performance on HDDs.

mq-deadline basically won't merge IO if STS_RESOURCE isn't returned from
.queue_rq(), or blk_mq_get_dispatch_budget always return true. NVMe's
.queue_rq() basically always returns STS_OK.

Thanks,
Ming