Hi, On Thu, Oct 13, 2022 at 02:08:54PM +0300, Tony Lindgren wrote: > Hi, > > * Tomi Valkeinen [221013 06:13]: > > I would just go with the above for the time being. It should be an easy > > change, and as these omapfb and drm panel drivers are kind of copies of each > > other, I think it makes sense to use the same code in both. > > Maybe if a fix is needed, sure let's fix things first, then drop > the unused panel drivers. > > We already have drivers/gpu/drm/panel driver for both of these two > omapfb panels: > > drivers/video/fbdev/omap2/omapfb/displays/panel-sony-acx565akm.c > drivers/video/fbdev/omap2/omapfb/displays/panel-dsi-cm.c > > The compatible strings used translate to these dts files: > > arch/arm/boot/dts/motorola-mapphone-common.dtsi > arch/arm/boot/dts/omap3-n900.dts > arch/arm/boot/dts/omap3-n950.dts > arch/arm/boot/dts/omap4-sdp.dts > > These devices work with omapdrm and there should not be any need to > stick with the omapfb driver. We can just drop the omapfb panel > drivers for panel-sony-acx565akm.c and panel-dsi-cm.c. Let's put > the limited effort where there is activity instead :) FWIW Acked-by: Sebastian Reichel for removal of those two omapfb panel drivers. > The vrfb rotation work has been discussed on the lists, so seems > like we will eventually have that for omapdrm. Meanwhile, software > rotation is being used for postmarketos and leste with omapdrm > AFAIK. > > > That said, I personally don't mind fixing the dts files and the drivers, and > > even dropping the omapfb panel drivers. However, as I don't know if someone > > needs the omapfb drivers or has to use an old dtb, I don't want to step on > > that possible mine field. If someone else wants to go there (without my > > involvement), fine for me =). > > I belive the only valid use case for omap2 omapfb is the n8x0 rfbi > driver that has no omapdrm driver. Is that upstream? omapfb (and omapdrm) both have this: /* * HACK * We don't have a working driver for rfbi, so skip it here always. * Otherwise dss will never get probed successfully, as it will wait * for rfbi to get probed. */ if (strstr(dev_name(dev), "rfbi")) return 0; I've seen a few old drivers being removed by marking them as BROKEN (and updating Kconfig help text to explain the situation). Then the code is dropped 1-2 cycles later assuming nobody complained. -- Sebastian