linux-omap.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Mailing list about low levels of Linux on cellphones
@ 2020-09-08 22:56 Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2020-09-08 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernel list, linux-arm-kernel, linux-omap, tony, sre, nekit1000,
	mpartap, merlijn, martin_rysavy, David S. Miller, guido.gunther,
	konradybcio, arnd, martin.botka1

Hi!

It seems there is quite a lot of efforts porting kernel to various
cellphones.

Librem 5 and PinePhone have their own hardware, people around Maemo
Leste work with Nokia N900 and Droid 4, there's group working with
Sony cellphones, there are postmarketOS people and there are probably
groups I don't know about.

I believe some coordination would be useful, so we end up with
compatible solutions for various problems.

It would be also good to know how ther hardware is progressing. I'd
really like to have phone I could use as a _phone_, running mainline
kernel. So far N900 with original Maemo is closest I could get.

Would it be possible to create a mailing list on vger.kernel.org?
Probably phones@ or phone-devel@? I believe it would be useful to
cover hardware-dependend pieces of the phone stack (ofono,
modemmanager) as well as kernel.

Best regards,

									Pavel

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Mailing list about low levels of Linux on cellphones
@ 2020-09-08 23:08 ` Bhaskar Chowdhury
From: Bhaskar Chowdhury @ 2020-09-08 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Machek
  Cc: kernel list, linux-arm-kernel, linux-omap, tony, sre, nekit1000,

On 00:56 Wed 09 Sep 2020, Pavel Machek wrote:
>Hi!
>
>It seems there is quite a lot of efforts porting kernel to various
>cellphones.
>
>Librem 5 and PinePhone have their own hardware, people around Maemo
>Leste work with Nokia N900 and Droid 4, there's group working with
>Sony cellphones, there are postmarketOS people and there are probably
>groups I don't know about.
>
>I believe some coordination would be useful, so we end up with
>compatible solutions for various problems.
>
>It would be also good to know how ther hardware is progressing. I'd
>really like to have phone I could use as a _phone_, running mainline
>kernel. So far N900 with original Maemo is closest I could get.
>
>Would it be possible to create a mailing list on vger.kernel.org?
>Probably phones@ or phone-devel@? I believe it would be useful to
>cover hardware-dependend pieces of the phone stack (ofono,
>modemmanager) as well as kernel.
>
>Best regards,
>
>									Pavel

That's sounds good and people will have clutter free mailing list of specific
thing. The other side would be to have little maintenance headache to maintain
that list.

But , it is a good thought!

Thanks,
Bhaskar

@ 2020-09-09  5:58   ` Tony Lindgren
From: Tony Lindgren @ 2020-09-09  5:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bhaskar Chowdhury, Pavel Machek, kernel list, linux-arm-kernel,
	linux-omap, sre, nekit1000, mpartap, merlijn, martin_rysavy,
	David S. Miller, guido.gunther, konradybcio, arnd, martin.botka1

* Bhaskar Chowdhury <unixbhaskar@gmail.com> [200908 23:08]:
> On 00:56 Wed 09 Sep 2020, Pavel Machek wrote:
> > Would it be possible to create a mailing list on vger.kernel.org?
> > Probably phones@ or phone-devel@? I believe it would be useful to
> > cover hardware-dependend pieces of the phone stack (ofono,
> > modemmanager) as well as kernel.

Good idea, probably phone-devel list would be better for Linux kernel
stuff.

Regards,

Tony

* Re: Mailing list about low levels of Linux on cellphones
@ 2020-09-09  6:29 ` H. Nikolaus Schaller
From: H. Nikolaus Schaller @ 2020-09-09  6:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Machek
  Cc: kernel list, linux-arm-kernel, Linux-OMAP, Tony Lindgren,
	Sebastian Reichel, nekit1000, mpartap, Merlijn Wajer,
	martin_rysavy, David S. Miller, guido.gunther, konradybcio, arnd,
	martin.botka1, Tinkerphones Community,
	Discussions about the Letux Kernel

Hi Pavel,

> Am 09.09.2020 um 00:56 schrieb Pavel Machek <pavel@ucw.cz>:
>
> Hi!
>
> It seems there is quite a lot of efforts porting kernel to various
> cellphones.

Yes, and it is sisyphos work to get it 100% into mainline... Most
projects I know about are at 99,5%.

> Librem 5 and PinePhone have their own hardware, people around Maemo
> Leste work with Nokia N900 and Droid 4, there's group working with
> Sony cellphones, there are postmarketOS people and there are probably
> groups I don't know about.

And there is Openmoko and successors (GTA04, Pyra, GTA15).

> I believe some coordination would be useful, so we end up with
> compatible solutions for various problems.

IMHO the main problem we all share is power management.

> It would be also good to know how ther hardware is progressing. I'd
> really like to have phone I could use as a _phone_, running mainline
> kernel. So far N900 with original Maemo is closest I could get.
>
> Would it be possible to create a mailing list on vger.kernel.org?

Hm. My experience with asking for creating an openpvrsgx mailing list
at vger.kernel.org was like asking the sun to shine during night.

In the end we did set up our own mailing list and github project:

https://github.com/openpvrsgx-devgroup/linux_openpvrsgx

What I can offer is to run a similar list. You may remember that
OpenPhoenux was the continuation of the OpenMoko community mailing lists
having the same focus as you describe above.

> Probably phones@ or phone-devel@? I believe it would be useful to
> cover hardware-dependend pieces of the phone stack (ofono,
> modemmanager) as well as kernel.

I am fine with either.

BR,
Nikolaus

* Re: Mailing list about low levels of Linux on cellphones
@ 2020-09-09 21:37   ` David Miller
From: David Miller @ 2020-09-09 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hns
  Cc: pavel, linux-kernel, linux-arm-kernel, linux-omap, tony, sre,
	nekit1000, mpartap, merlijn, martin_rysavy, guido.gunther,
	konradybcio, arnd, martin.botka1, community, letux-kernel

I've created phone-devel@vger.kernel.org

* Re: Mailing list about low levels of Linux on cellphones
@ 2020-09-09 21:40     ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2020-09-09 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Miller
  Cc: hns, linux-kernel, linux-arm-kernel, linux-omap, tony, sre,
	nekit1000, mpartap, merlijn, martin_rysavy, guido.gunther,
	konradybcio, arnd, martin.botka1, community, letux-kernel

> I've created phone-devel@vger.kernel.org

Thank you!
								Pavel