On 2019-09-05, Christian Brauner wrote: > On Thu, Sep 05, 2019 at 06:19:22AM +1000, Aleksa Sarai wrote: > > A common pattern for syscall extensions is increasing the size of a > > struct passed from userspace, such that the zero-value of the new fields > > result in the old kernel behaviour (allowing for a mix of userspace and > > kernel vintages to operate on one another in most cases). This is done > > in both directions -- hence two helpers -- though it's more common to > > have to copy user space structs into kernel space. > > > > Previously there was no common lib/ function that implemented > > the necessary extension-checking semantics (and different syscalls > > implemented them slightly differently or incompletely[1]). A future > > patch replaces all of the common uses of this pattern to use the new > > copy_struct_{to,from}_user() helpers. > > > > [1]: For instance {sched_setattr,perf_event_open,clone3}(2) all do do > > similar checks to copy_struct_from_user() while rt_sigprocmask(2) > > always rejects differently-sized struct arguments. > > > > Suggested-by: Rasmus Villemoes > > Signed-off-by: Aleksa Sarai > > I would probably split this out into a separate patchset. It can very > well go in before openat2(). Thoughts? Yeah, I'll split this and the related patches out -- though I will admit I'm not sure how you're supposed to deal with multiple independent patchsets that depend on each other. How will folks reviewing openat2(2) know to include the lib/struct_user.c changes? Also, whose tree should it go through? -- Aleksa Sarai Senior Software Engineer (Containers) SUSE Linux GmbH