linux-parisc.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* linux-next: manual merge of the tty tree with the parisc-hd tree
@ 2021-08-30  5:46 Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2021-08-30  5:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH, Helge Deller, Parisc List
  Cc: Greg Kroah-Hartman, Jiri Slaby, Jiri Slaby,
	Linux Kernel Mailing List, Linux Next Mailing List

Hi all,

Today's linux-next merge of the tty tree got a conflict in:

  arch/parisc/kernel/pdc_cons.c

between commit:

  9613b0cb3eb4 ("tty: pdc_cons, free tty_driver upon failure")

from the parisc-hd tree and commits:

  0524513afe45 ("tty: don't store semi-state into tty drivers")
  72fdb403008c ("tty: pdc_cons, free tty_driver upon failure")

from the tty tree.

I fixed it up (I just used the latter version) and can carry the fix as
necessary. This is now fixed as far as linux-next is concerned, but any
non trivial conflicts should be mentioned to your upstream maintainer
when your tree is submitted for merging.  You may also want to consider
cooperating with the maintainer of the conflicting tree to minimise any
particularly complex conflicts.

--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell

* Re: linux-next: manual merge of the tty tree with the parisc-hd tree
@ 2021-08-30  7:14 ` Helge Deller
From: Helge Deller @ 2021-08-30  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell, Greg KH, Parisc List
  Cc: Greg Kroah-Hartman, Jiri Slaby, Jiri Slaby,

On 8/30/21 7:46 AM, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Today's linux-next merge of the tty tree got a conflict in:
>
>    arch/parisc/kernel/pdc_cons.c
>
> between commit:
>
>    9613b0cb3eb4 ("tty: pdc_cons, free tty_driver upon failure")
>
> from the parisc-hd tree and commits:
>
>    0524513afe45 ("tty: don't store semi-state into tty drivers")
>    72fdb403008c ("tty: pdc_cons, free tty_driver upon failure")
>
> from the tty tree.
>
> I fixed it up (I just used the latter version) ...

The latter version triggers build errors.
Jiri's patch needs fixing. Instead of:
+               tty_driver_kref_put(driver);
it needs to be:
+               tty_driver_kref_put(pdc_console_tty_driver);

Jiri, maybe you can fix it in your tree?
I'm happy to drop the patch from my tree.

Helge

* Re: linux-next: manual merge of the tty tree with the parisc-hd tree
@ 2021-08-30  7:33   ` Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2021-08-30  7:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Helge Deller
  Cc: Greg KH, Parisc List, Greg Kroah-Hartman, Jiri Slaby, Jiri Slaby,
	Linux Kernel Mailing List, Linux Next Mailing List

Hi Helge,

On Mon, 30 Aug 2021 09:14:33 +0200 Helge Deller <deller@gmx.de> wrote:

> On 8/30/21 7:46 AM, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> > Today's linux-next merge of the tty tree got a conflict in:
> >
> >    arch/parisc/kernel/pdc_cons.c
> >
> > between commit:
> >
> >    9613b0cb3eb4 ("tty: pdc_cons, free tty_driver upon failure")
> >
> > from the parisc-hd tree and commits:
> >
> >    0524513afe45 ("tty: don't store semi-state into tty drivers")
> >    72fdb403008c ("tty: pdc_cons, free tty_driver upon failure")
> >
> > from the tty tree.
> >
> > I fixed it up (I just used the latter version) ...
>
> The latter version triggers build errors.
> Jiri's patch needs fixing. Instead of:
> +               tty_driver_kref_put(driver);
> it needs to be:
> +               tty_driver_kref_put(pdc_console_tty_driver);
>
> Jiri, maybe you can fix it in your tree?
> I'm happy to drop the patch from my tree.

The tty tree commits first create a "driver" variable that is used
until it is clear everything works and then it is assigned to
pdc_console_tty_driver.

Just remember to tell Linus about the conflict, he will figure it out.
--

@ 2021-08-30  8:17     ` Helge Deller
From: Helge Deller @ 2021-08-30  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell
  Cc: Greg KH, Parisc List, Greg Kroah-Hartman, Jiri Slaby, Jiri Slaby,

On 8/30/21 9:33 AM, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi Helge,
>
> On Mon, 30 Aug 2021 09:14:33 +0200 Helge Deller <deller@gmx.de> wrote:
>>
>> On 8/30/21 7:46 AM, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
>>> Today's linux-next merge of the tty tree got a conflict in:
>>>
>>>     arch/parisc/kernel/pdc_cons.c
>>>
>>> between commit:
>>>
>>>     9613b0cb3eb4 ("tty: pdc_cons, free tty_driver upon failure")
>>>
>>> from the parisc-hd tree and commits:
>>>
>>>     0524513afe45 ("tty: don't store semi-state into tty drivers")
>>>     72fdb403008c ("tty: pdc_cons, free tty_driver upon failure")
>>>
>>> from the tty tree.
>>>
>>> I fixed it up (I just used the latter version) ...
>>
>> The latter version triggers build errors.
>> Jiri's patch needs fixing. Instead of:
>> +               tty_driver_kref_put(driver);
>> it needs to be:
>> +               tty_driver_kref_put(pdc_console_tty_driver);
>>
>> Jiri, maybe you can fix it in your tree?
>> I'm happy to drop the patch from my tree.
>
> The tty tree commits first create a "driver" variable that is used
> until it is clear everything works and then it is assigned to
> pdc_console_tty_driver.

Ah, right. I didn't checked. Looks good and compiles cleanly.
I'll drop the patch from my tree, so everything is OK now.

Helge

* linux-next: manual merge of the tty tree with the parisc-hd tree
@ 2020-10-13  4:43 Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2020-10-13  4:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH, Helge Deller, Parisc List
	Tetsuo Handa

Hi all,

Today's linux-next merge of the tty tree got a conflict in:

  drivers/video/console/sticon.c

between commit:

  fbb75b71b131 ("parisc/sticon: Add user font support")

from the parisc-hd tree and commits:

  d73568c4ccb0 ("vt: make vc_data pointers const in selection.h")
  23f87274f0ad ("sticon: remove no-op sticon_set_origin()")

from the tty tree.

I fixed it up (there is some overlap and I more or less used the former
version of the conflicting bits) and can carry the fix as necessary. This

@ 2017-08-29  6:58 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2017-08-29  6:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell
	Linux Kernel Mailing List, Arvind Yadav

On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 04:35:13PM +1000, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi Greg,
>
> Today's linux-next merge of the tty tree got a conflict in:
>
>   drivers/tty/serial/8250/8250_gsc.c
>
> between commit:
>
>   9e466f101e19 ("parisc/8250_gsc: Fix section mismatches")
>
> from the parisc-hd tree and commit:
>
>   0d474f7fad3b ("tty: 8250: constify parisc_device_id")
>
> from the tty tree.
>
> I fixed it up (the former is a superset of the latter) and can carry the
> fix as necessary. This is now fixed as far as linux-next is concerned,
> but any non trivial conflicts should be mentioned to your upstream
> maintainer when your tree is submitted for merging.  You may also want
> to consider cooperating with the maintainer of the conflicting tree to
> minimise any particularly complex conflicts.

Thanks for letting me know about this, and the other conflict here.

greg k-h

* linux-next: manual merge of the tty tree with the parisc-hd tree
@ 2017-08-29  6:38 Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2017-08-29  6:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH, Helge Deller, Parisc List

Hi Greg,

Today's linux-next merge of the tty tree got a conflict in:

  drivers/tty/serial/mux.c

between commit:

  fc72b7a3a0d8 ("parisc/mux: Fix section mismatches")

from the parisc-hd tree and commit:

  829374f544b3 ("tty: mux: constify parisc_device_id")

@ 2017-08-29  6:35 Stephen Rothwell