On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 03:33:20PM +0530, Amit Kucheria wrote: > On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 3:17 PM Mark Brown wrote: > > > I was using initcall_debugging on a QCOM platform and ran across a bunch of > > > driver initcalls that are enabled even if their SoC support is disabled. > > What exactly is the problem you're trying to fix here? For the > > drivers I looked at these were bog standard register the driver > > with the subsystem type initcalls on optional drivers so not > > doing anything particularly disruptive or anything like that. > I was trying to prune the defconfig only to drivers that make sense on > the SoC. e.g. Why should I see a brcmstb_soc_device_early_init() call > on a QCOM system when I've disabled ARCH_BRCMSTB? So this is really just the standard make Kconfig easier to use by filtering out noise thing. It'd be clearer if you said that in the changelog, and like the review comments have been saying you need to leave in an || COMPILE_TEST in there otherwise it's actively harmful. > I came across this while trying to figure out how to make thermal and > cpufreq frameworks initialise as early as possible. AFAICT you'd also have been happy if you just built these drivers modular?