linux-pci.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Do we need acpiphp_sanitize_bus() in acpiphp?
@ 2012-08-15 14:13 Yijing Wang
From: Yijing Wang @ 2012-08-15 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-pci, Bjorn Helgaas, Yinghai Lu

Hi all,
   I have some confusion on acpiphp_sanitize_bus() functions.If I understand wrong about this, correct me,thanks your help.
   I think there are three problems in this function:
   1、Use list_for_each_entry here is not safe, because pci_stop_and_remove_bus_device() will remove the device from bus.
   2、If assign resources fail after hot-add a device, the resource will reset to zero, in reset_resource(), res->start = 0,
      res->end =0, res->end = 0.
   3、I think leave the fail pci devices in the system is better rather than remove them, so we can see all pci devices
      by lspci after hot-add, what about your opinion?

thanks!
Yijing.

/*
 * Remove devices for which we could not assign resources, call
 * arch specific code to fix-up the bus
 */
static void acpiphp_sanitize_bus(struct pci_bus *bus)
{
	struct pci_dev *dev;
	int i;
	unsigned long type_mask = IORESOURCE_IO | IORESOURCE_MEM;

	list_for_each_entry(dev, &bus->devices, bus_list) {
		for (i=0; i<PCI_BRIDGE_RESOURCES; i++) {
			struct resource *res = &dev->resource[i];
			if ((res->flags & type_mask) && !res->start &&
					res->end) {
				/* Could not assign a required resources
				 * for this device, remove it */
				pci_stop_and_remove_bus_device(dev);
				break;
			}
		}
	}
}

* Re: Do we need acpiphp_sanitize_bus() in acpiphp?
@ 2012-08-15 14:27 ` Bjorn Helgaas
From: Bjorn Helgaas @ 2012-08-15 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yijing Wang; +Cc: linux-pci, Yinghai Lu

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 7:13 AM, Yijing Wang <wangyijing0307@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>    I have some confusion on acpiphp_sanitize_bus() functions.If I understand wrong about this, correct me,thanks your help.
>    I think there are three problems in this function:
>    1、Use list_for_each_entry here is not safe, because pci_stop_and_remove_bus_device() will remove the device from bus.
>    2、If assign resources fail after hot-add a device, the resource will reset to zero, in reset_resource(), res->start = 0,
>       res->end =0, res->end = 0.
>    3、I think leave the fail pci devices in the system is better rather than remove them, so we can see all pci devices
>       by lspci after hot-add, what about your opinion?

These sound like reasonable concerns.  The best thing to do is to
propose patches (separate ones for each logical issue).  Then we can
review a concrete change and apply it if appropriate.

@ 2012-08-15 14:52   ` Yijing Wang
From: Yijing Wang @ 2012-08-15 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bjorn Helgaas; +Cc: linux-pci, Yinghai Lu

> On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 7:13 AM, Yijing Wang <wangyijing0307@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>    I have some confusion on acpiphp_sanitize_bus() functions.If I understand wrong about this, correct me,thanks your help.
>>    I think there are three problems in this function:
>>    1、Use list_for_each_entry here is not safe, because pci_stop_and_remove_bus_device() will remove the device from bus.
>>    2、If assign resources fail after hot-add a device, the resource will reset to zero, in reset_resource(), res->start = 0,
>>       res->end =0, res->end = 0.
>>    3、I think leave the fail pci devices in the system is better rather than remove them, so we can see all pci devices
>>       by lspci after hot-add, what about your opinion?
>
> These sound like reasonable concerns.  The best thing to do is to
> propose patches (separate ones for each logical issue).  Then we can
> review a concrete change and apply it if appropriate.

Hi Bjorn,
   Thanks for your comments!
   You are right, I will provide some patches as soon.