linux-pci.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Thorsten Leemhuis <regressions@leemhuis.info>
To: "Ville Syrjälä" <ville.syrjala@linux.intel.com>,
	"Krzysztof Wilczyński" <kw@linux.com>
Cc: Bjorn Helgaas <bhelgaas@google.com>,
	Oliver O'Halloran <oohall@gmail.com>,
	linux-pci@vger.kernel.org,
	"regressions@lists.linux.dev" <regressions@lists.linux.dev>
Subject: Re: [REGRESSION] 527139d738d7 ("PCI/sysfs: Convert "rom" to static attribute")
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2021 07:10:41 +0100	[thread overview]

On 17.12.21 11:44, Ville Syrjälä wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The pci sysfs "rom" file has disappeared for VGA devices.
> Looks to be a regression from commit 527139d738d7 ("PCI/sysfs:
> Convert "rom" to static attribute").
>
> Some kind of ordering issue between the sysfs file creation
> vs. pci_fixup_video() perhaps?
[TLDR: adding this regression to regzbot; most text you find below is
compiled from a few templates paragraphs some of you might have seen
already.]

Hi, this is your Linux kernel regression tracker speaking.

Thanks for the report.

Adding the regression mailing list to the list of recipients, as it
should be in the loop for all regressions, as explained here:
https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/admin-guide/reporting-issues.html

To be sure this issue doesn't fall through the cracks unnoticed, I'm
adding it to regzbot, my Linux kernel regression tracking bot:

#regzbot ^introduced 527139d738d7
#regzbot title pci: the pci sysfs "rom" file has disappeared for VGA devices
#regzbot ignore-activity

Reminder: when fixing the issue, please add a 'Link:' tag with the URL
to the report (the parent of this mail), as explained in
'Documentaiton/process/submitting-patches.rst'. Regzbot then will
automatically mark the regression as resolved once the fix lands in the
appropriate tree. For more details about regzbot see footer.

Sending this to everyone that got the initial report, to make all aware
of the tracking. I also hope that messages like this motivate people to
directly get at least the regression mailing list and ideally even
regzbot involved when dealing with regressions, as messages like this
wouldn't be needed then.

Don't worry, I'll send further messages wrt to this regression just to
the lists (with a tag in the subject so people can filter them away), as
long as they are intended just for regzbot. With a bit of luck no such
messages will be needed anyway.

Ciao, Thorsten (wearing his 'Linux kernel regression tracker' hat).

P.S.: As a Linux kernel regression tracker I'm getting a lot of reports
on my table. I can only look briefly into most of them. Unfortunately
therefore I sometimes will get things wrong or miss something important.
I hope that's not the case here; if you think it is, don't hesitate to
tell me about it in a public reply. That's in everyone's interest, as
what I wrote above might be misleading to everyone reading this; any
suggestion I gave thus might sent someone reading this down the wrong
rabbit hole, which none of us wants.

BTW, I have no personal interest in this issue, which is tracked using
regzbot, my Linux kernel regression tracking bot
(https://linux-regtracking.leemhuis.info/regzbot/). I'm only posting
this mail to get things rolling again and hence don't need to be CC on
all further activities wrt to this regression.

---
Additional information about regzbot:

If you want to know more about regzbot, check out its web-interface, the
getting start guide, and/or the references documentation:

https://linux-regtracking.leemhuis.info/regzbot/
https://gitlab.com/knurd42/regzbot/-/blob/main/docs/getting_started.md
https://gitlab.com/knurd42/regzbot/-/blob/main/docs/reference.md

The last two documents will explain how you can interact with regzbot
yourself if your want to.

Hint for reporters: when reporting a regression it's in your interest to
tell #regzbot about it in the report, as that will ensure the regression
gets on the radar of regzbot and the regression tracker. That's in your
interest, as they will make sure the report won't fall through the
cracks unnoticed.

Hint for developers: you normally don't need to care about regzbot once
it's involved. Fix the issue as you normally would, just remember to
include a 'Link:' tag to the report in the commit message, as explained
in Documentation/process/submitting-patches.rst
That aspect was recently was made more explicit in commit 1f57bd42b77c:
https://git.kernel.org/linus/1f57bd42b77c