linux-pci.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Allen <allen.lkml@gmail.com>
To: Greg KH <gregkh@linuxfoundation.org>
Cc: linux-pci@vger.kernel.org, Bjorn Helgaas <bhelgaas@google.com>,
	ast@kernel.org,
	Allen Pais <apais@linux.microsoft.com>,
	Allen Pais <allen.pais@lkml.com>
Subject: Re: [RFC] PCI: allow sysfs file owner to read the config space with CAP_SYS_RAWIO
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2020 18:51:39 +0530	[thread overview]

> > > Why?  What needs this reduced capability?
> >
> > Thanks for the review.
> >
> > We need read access to /sys/bus/pci/devices/,  We need write access to config,
> > remove, rescan & enable files under the device directory for each PCIe
> > functions & the downstream PCIe port.
> >
> > We need r/w access to sysfs to unbind and rebind the root complex.
>
> That didn't answer my question at all.

Sorry about that, breaking it down:

When the machine first boots, the VFIO device bindings under /dev/vfio
are not present.

root@localhost:/tmp# ls -l /dev/vfio/
total 0
crw-rw-rw-. 1 root root 10, 196 Jan  5 01:47 vfio

We have an agent which needs to run the following commands (We get
access denied here and need permissions to do this).
echo -n xxxx yyyy > /sys/module/vfio_pci/drivers/pci:vfio-pci/new_id
echo -n xxxx yyyy > /sys/module/vfio_pci/drivers/pci:vfio-pci/new_id

And we want to avoid handing CAP_SYS_ADMIN here. Which is why the
thought about CAP_SYS_RAWIO.

> Why can't you have the process that wants to do all of the above, have
> admin rights as well?  Doing all of that is _very_ low-level and can
> cause all sorts of horrible things to happen to your machine, and is not
> really "raw io" in the traditional sense at all, right?

If the above approach is going to cause the system to do horrible things,
then I'll drop the idea.

--
       - Allen