linux-pci.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Marc Gonzalez <marc.w.gonzalez@free.fr>
To: Robin Murphy <robin.murphy@arm.com>,
	MSM <linux-arm-msm@vger.kernel.org>,
	PCI <linux-pci@vger.kernel.org>
Cc: Jeffrey Hugo <jhugo@codeaurora.org>,
	Bjorn Andersson <bjorn.andersson@linaro.org>,
	Lee Jones <lee.jones@linaro.org>,
	Evan Green <evgreen@chromium.org>,
	Douglas Anderson <dianders@chromium.org>,
	Stanimir Varbanov <stanimir.varbanov@linaro.org>
Subject: Re: WIP: PCIe on MSM8998
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2019 17:48:59 +0100	[thread overview]

On 21/03/2019 00:07, Robin Murphy wrote:

> Unfortunately, having looked around the code, I think I do. 4.4 long
> predates the iommu-map binding, and in the absence of anything other
> than the hard-coded SID==RID assumption of arm-smmu at the time, they
> apparently went and did their own wacky thing[1]. AFAICS the Stream ID
> appears to be pretty much derived from the PCI topology as I would hope,
> but it looks like it might depend on some sort of lookup table being
> programmed appropriately as well.
>
> Bear in mind that the this is _The Qualcomm Android Kernel_ we're trying
> to reason about here - playing true to the stereotype, the diff against
> the mainline driver is significantly bigger than the entire mainline
> driver itself; the line count of arm-smmu.c alone is pushing
> 2-and-a-half times that of the file in 4.4.y ;)
>
> Since the curiosity had set in, I finally got round to dumping the ACPI
> tables from my Snapdragon 835 laptop, and judging by the IORT it seems
> like the EFI firmware for Windows machines does provide some set of
> static ID mappings which could probably transcribe to an iommu-map (if
> indeed it's valid at all - Windows itself doesn't seem to be even
> touching PCI here), but I guess the Android BSP might not be so
> generous. That'll be a question for the Qualcomm folks. FWIW mine
> interestingly claims that its SMMU instances are all sharing SPI 231 as
> a global fault interrupt, but whether that's true and/or depends on the
> runtime firmware, again I really have no idea.
>
> Robin.
>
> [1]
> https://source.codeaurora.org/quic/la/kernel/msm-4.4/tree/drivers/pci/host/pci-msm.c?h=LE.UM.1.3.r3.25&id=f1fa301f977f06dcf990c0452d85e2f67d8cbbf1#n4687

As far as I can tell, the specific line that crashes the system is:

	AT_WRITE_REG(hw, REG_RXQ_CTRL, rxq);

which attempts to write 0x80800000 to [0x1b300000 + 0x15a0]

Note that I wrote "crashes the system" not "crashes the kernel" because
there is no panic, no log from the kernel. The system just hangs for a
few seconds, and then reboots. I suspect the system might be trapping
into the FW, which is unhappy because $REASON.

What I find confusing is that the previous write was:

	AT_WRITE_REG(hw, REG_TXQ_CTRL, txq);

Why would REG_RXQ_CTRL be handled differently than REG_TXQ_CTRL?

Sigh...