linux-pci.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Andrey Grodzovsky <Andrey.Grodzovsky@amd.com>
To: Bjorn Helgaas <helgaas@kernel.org>
Cc: "Deucher, Alexander" <Alexander.Deucher@amd.com>,
	"s.miroshnichenko@yadro.com" <s.miroshnichenko@yadro.com>,
	"linux-pci@vger.kernel.org" <linux-pci@vger.kernel.org>,
	"Koenig, Christian" <Christian.Koenig@amd.com>,
	"Antonovitch, Anatoli" <Anatoli.Antonovitch@amd.com>,
	Daniel Vetter <daniel@ffwll.ch>
Subject: Re: Avoid MMIO write access after hot unplug [WAS - Re: Question about supporting AMD eGPU hot plug case]
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2021 15:42:01 -0500	[thread overview]

On 2/5/21 2:45 PM, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 05, 2021 at 11:08:45AM -0500, Andrey Grodzovsky wrote:

>>> I think you're talking about a PCI BAR that is mapped into a user
>>> process.
>>
>> For user mappings, including MMIO mappings, we have a reliable
>> approach where we invalidate device address space mappings for all
>> user on first sign of device disconnect and then on all subsequent
>> page faults from the users accessing those ranges we insert dummy
>> zero page into their respective page tables. It's actually the
>> kernel driver, where no page faulting can be used such as for user
>> space, I have issues on how to protect from keep accessing those
>> ranges which already are released by PCI subsystem and hence can be
>> allocated to another hot plugging device.
>
> That doesn't sound reliable to me, but maybe I don't understand what
> you mean by the "first sign of device disconnect."

See functions drm_dev_enter, drm_dev_exit and drm_dev_unplug in drm_derv.c

At least from a PCI
> perspective, the first sign of a surprise hot unplug is likely to be
> an MMIO read that returns ~0.

We set drm_dev_unplug in amdgpu_pci_remove and base all later checks
with drm_dev_enter/drm_dev_exit on this

> It's true that the hot unplug will likely cause an interrupt and we
> *may* be able to unbind the driver before the driver or a user program
> performs an MMIO access, but there's certainly no guarantee.  The
> following sequence is always possible:
>
>    - User unplugs PCIe device
>    - Bridge raises hotplug interrupt
>    - Driver or userspace issues MMIO read
>    - Bridge responds with error because link to device is down
>    - Host bridge receives error, fabricates ~0 data to CPU
>    - Driver or userspace sees ~0 data from MMIO read
>    - PCI core fields hotplug interrupt and unbinds driver
>
>>> It is impossible to reliably *prevent* MMIO accesses to a BAR on a
>>> PCI device that has been unplugged.  There is always a window
>>> where the CPU issues a load/store and the device is unplugged
>>> before the load/store completes.
>>>
>>> If a PCIe device is unplugged, an MMIO read to that BAR will
>>> complete on PCIe with an uncorrectable fatal error.  When that
>>> happens there is no valid data from the PCIe device, so the PCIe
>>> host bridge typically fabricates ~0 data so the CPU load
>>> instruction can complete.
>>>
>>> If you want to reliably recover from unplugs like this, I think
>>> you have to check for that ~0 data at the important points, i.e.,
>>> where you make decisions based on the data.  Of course, ~0 may be
>>> valid data in some cases.  You have to use your knowledge of the
>>> device programming model to determine whether ~0 is possible, and
>>> if it is, check in some other way, like another MMIO read, to tell
>>> whether the read succeeded and returned ~0, or failed because of
>>> PCIe error and returned ~0.
>>
>> Looks like there is a high performance price to pay for this
>> approach if we protect at every possible junction (e.g. register
>> read/write accessors ), I tested this by doing 1M read/writes while
>> using drm_dev_enter/drm_dev_exit which is DRM's RCU based guard
>> against device unplug and even then we hit performance penalty of
>> 40%. I assume that with actual MMIO read (e.g.
>> pci_device_is_present)  will cause a much larger performance
>> penalty.
>
> I guess you have to decide whether you want a fast 90% solution or a
> somewhat slower 100% reliable solution :)
>
> I don't think the checking should be as expensive as you're thinking.
> You only have to check if:
>
>    (1) you're doing an MMIO read (there's no response for MMIO writes,
>        so you can't tell whether they succeed),
>    (2) the MMIO read returns ~0,
>    (3) ~0 might be a valid value for the register you're reading, and
>    (4) the read value is important to your control flow.
>
> For example, if you do a series of reads and act on the data after all
> the reads complete, you only need to worry about whether the *last*
> read failed.  If that last read is to a register that is known to
> contain a zero bit, no additional MMIO read is required and the
> checking is basically free.

I am more worried about MMIO writes to avoid writing to a BAR
of a newly 'just' plugged in device that got accidentally allocated some
part of MMIO addresses range that our 'ghost' device still using.

Andrey