On Thu, Nov 28, 2019 at 05:14:51PM +0100, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote: > On Thu, Nov 28, 2019 at 5:03 PM Thierry Reding wrote: > > > > From: Thierry Reding > > > > Currently the driver PM core will automatically acquire a runtime PM > > reference for devices before system sleep is entered. This is needed > > to avoid potential issues related to devices' parents getting put to > > runtime suspend at the wrong time and causing problems with their > > children. > > Not only for that. > > > In some cases drivers are carefully written to avoid such issues and > > the default behaviour can be changed to allow runtime PM to operate > > regularly during system sleep. > > But this change breaks quite a few assumptions in the core too, so no, > it can't be made. Anything in particular that I can look at? I'm not seeing any issues when I test this, which could of course mean that I'm just getting lucky. One thing that irritated me is that I think this used to work. I do recall testing suspend/resume a few years ago and devices would get properly runtime suspended/resumed. I did some digging but couldn't find anything that would have had an impact on this. Given that this is completely opt-in feature, why are you categorically NAK'ing this? Is there some other alternative that I can look into? Thierry