Hi! > > > > You can do it seqlock-style, kind of - you reserve the first byte of > > > > the page or so as a "is this page initialized" marker, and after every > > > > read from the page, you do a compiler barrier and check whether that > > > > byte has been cleared. > > > > > > This is certainly possible yet wery awkwar interface to use IMHO. > > > MADV_EXTERNALY_VOLATILE would express the actual semantic much better. > > > I might not still understand the expected usecase but if the target > > > application has to be changed anyway then why not simply use a > > > transparent and proper signaling mechanism like poll on a fd. That > > > > The goal is to have cryprographically-safe get_random_number() with 0 > > syscalls. > > > > You'd need to do: > > > > if (!poll(did_i_migrate)) { > > use_prng_seed(); > > if (poll(did_i_migrate)) { > > /* oops_they_migrated_me_in_middle_of_computation, > > lets_redo_it() */ > > goto retry: > > } > > } > > > > Which means two syscalls.. > > Is this a real problem though? Do we have any actual numbers? E.g. how > often does the migration happen so that 2 syscalls would be visible in > actual workloads? Please go through the thread and try to understand it. You'd need syscalls per get_randomness(), not per migration. Pavel -- (english) http://www.livejournal.com/~pavelmachek (cesky, pictures) http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pavel/picture/horses/blog.html