On Tue 2020-09-15 11:36:13, Roman Kiryanov wrote: > On Tue, Sep 15, 2020 at 11:27 AM Borislav Petkov wrote: > > > I believe the kernel makes a questionable assumption on how clang > > > uses registers (gs will not be used if stack protection is disabled). > > > Both kernel and clang behaves unfortunate here. > > > > If the kernel is at fault here and this same thing happens with GCC, > > sure, but this is a clang-specific fix. > > This is fair. Unfortunately I am not an x86 asm expert. I expect the proper > fix should land into arch/x86/kernel/acpi/wakeup_64.S to init %gs > (maybe some more registers) before "jmp restore_processor_state". That would certainly be nicer / more acceptable solution than patch being proposed here. Code was written with assumption compiler random C code would not use %gs. If that's no longer true, fixing it in wakeup_64.S _with comments explaining what goes on_ might be solution. Best regards, Pavel -- (english) http://www.livejournal.com/~pavelmachek (cesky, pictures) http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pavel/picture/horses/blog.html