Linux-PM Archive on lore.kernel.org
From: Saravana Kannan <saravanak@google.com>
To: Joel Fernandes <joelaf@google.com>
Cc: Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@linuxfoundation.org>,
	"Rafael J. Wysocki" <rafael@kernel.org>,
	Tri Vo <trong@android.com>,
	"Rafael J. Wysocki" <rjw@rjwysocki.net>,
	Sandeep Patil <sspatil@android.com>,
	Viresh Kumar <viresh.kumar@linaro.org>,
	Hridya Valsaraju <hridya@google.com>,
	Linux PM <linux-pm@vger.kernel.org>,
	"Cc: Android Kernel" <kernel-team@android.com>,
	LKML <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>,
	Alexei Starovoitov <ast@kernel.org>,
	Steven Rostedt <rostedt@goodmis.org>,
	Alexei Starovoitov <ast@fb.com>
Subject: Re: Alternatives to /sys/kernel/debug/wakeup_sources
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2019 13:40:38 -0700

On Wed, Jun 19, 2019 at 1:09 PM 'Joel Fernandes' via kernel-team
<kernel-team@android.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 19, 2019 at 3:59 PM 'Saravana Kannan' via kernel-team
> <kernel-team@android.com> wrote:
> >

> > On Wed, Jun 19, 2019, 11:55 AM 'Joel Fernandes' via kernel-team <kernel-team@android.com> wrote:

> >> Not every, I was just saying whenever it happens and a frame delivery
> >> deadline is missed, then a frame drop can occur which can result in a
> >> poor user experience.
> >

> > But this is not done in the UI thread context. So some thread running for more than 16ms shouldn't cause a frame drop. If it does, we have bigger problems.
> >

> Not really. That depends on the priority of the other thread and other
> things. It can obviously time share the same CPU as the UI thread if
> it is not configured correctly. Even with CFS it can reduce the time
> consumed by other "real-time" CFS threads. I am not sure what you are
> proposing, there are also (obviously) power issues with things running
> for long times pointlessly. We should try to do better if we can. As
> Greg said, some study/research can be done on the use case before
> settling for a solution (sysfs or other).

Agree, power and optimization is good. Just saying that the UI example
is not a real one. If the UI thread is that poorly configured that
some thread running for a second can cause frame drops in a multicore
system, that's a problem with the UI framework design.

-Saravana