linux-pm.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: "Rafael J. Wysocki" <rafael@kernel.org>
To: Doug Smythies <dsmythies@telus.net>, Pavel Machek <pavel@ucw.cz>
Cc: kernel list <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>,
	ACPI Devel Maling List <linux-acpi@vger.kernel.org>,
	"Zhang, Rui" <rui.zhang@intel.com>,
	"Rafael J. Wysocki" <rjw@rjwysocki.net>,
	Viresh Kumar <viresh.kumar@linaro.org>,
	Linux PM <linux-pm@vger.kernel.org>,
	Thomas Gleixner <tglx@linutronix.de>,
	Ingo Molnar <mingo@redhat.com>, Borislav Petkov <bp@alien8.de>,
	"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@zytor.com>,
	"the arch/x86 maintainers" <x86@kernel.org>
Subject: Re: 5.2-rc2: low framerate in flightgear, cpu not running at full speed, thermal related?
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2019 23:44:30 +0200	[thread overview]

On Wed, Jun 12, 2019 at 4:45 AM Doug Smythies <dsmythies@telus.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> So, currently there seems to be 3 issues in this thread
> (and I am guessing a little, without definitive data):
>
> 1.) On your system Kernel 5.4-rc2 (or 4) defaults to the intel_pstate CPU frequency
> scaling driver and the powersave governor, but kernel 4.6 defaults to the
> acpi-cpufreq CPU frequency scaling driver and the ondemand governor.

Which means that intel_pstate works in the active mode by default and
so it uses its internal governor.

That governor is more performance-oriented than ondemand and it very
well may cause more power to be allocated for the processor - at the
expense of the GPU.

The lower-than-expected frame rate may result from that, in principle.

One way to mitigate that might be to use intel_pstate in the passive
mode (pass intel_pstate=passive to the kernel in the command line)
along with either ondemand or schedutil as the governor.