Sorry for the late reply, I had not a lot of time recently. Le Mon, 22 Oct 2018 10:40:16 -0400, James Carlson a écrit : > On 10/22/18 06:28, Morel Bérenger wrote: > > I am using pppd to have network access through GPRS/3G/4G on > > systems I do not have physical access to. > > > > Since I want the system to be up almost always, I am trying to > > manage my daemons through runit (daemontools), which works by > > keeping child process foreground and restart it when it dies for a > > reason or another, eventually logging whatever came on stdout. > > Please post the pppd options you're using today. $ grep -v -e '^#' -e '^$' /etc/ppp/options asyncmap 0 auth crtscts lock hide-password modem lcp-echo-interval 30 lcp-echo-failure 4 noipx $ cat /etc/ppp/peers/bouygues connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/chatscripts/gprs_bouygues -T pcebouygtel.com" /dev/ttyUSB4 noipdefault defaultroute usepeerdns persist noauth hide-password $ cat etc/chatscripts/gprs_bouygues ABORT BUSY ABORT VOICE ABORT "NO CARRIER" ABORT "NO DIALTONE" ABORT "NO DIAL TONE" ABORT "NO ANSWER" ABORT "DELAYED" ABORT "ERROR" ABORT "+CGATT :0" "" AT TIMEOUT 12 OK ATH OK ATE1 OK "AT+CPIN?" "+CPIN: READY-AT+CPIN=0000-" AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","\T","",0,0 OK \d\d\dATD*99# TIMEOUT 22 CONNECT "" I hope I included every useful information? > Please post debug traces I have attached a tarball containing pppd & chat logs on my current configuration to this mail, on a system that had the problem, I hope it is ok? Lines showing the problem starts at "Nov 7 15:10:15". > The simplest is to use the "debug" option, and get the log messages > via syslog. Use "logfile /path/to/some/file" if you can't use syslog > for some reason. (Note: don't use kdebug unless there are > kernel-level problems. This doesn't sound like a kernel-level > problem.) Are logs sent to a file exactly the same as those sent to syslog? > The usual way to set up an always-on connection with pppd is NOT via > some external utility, but by using the built-in restart capability in > pppd. You can use use the external utility if you want, but I think > it'll be harder to manage. I would prefer to avoid external tools, however I am using runit (like daemontools) to manage my daemons. I would like to integrate pppd, because I believe (but may be wrong) that it would simplify things for me to have only 1 system ensuring every services are doing their job. > To use the built-in restart, set "persist maxfail 0" as options. > > If you insist on using an external utility to do this, you will > probably want something like "maxfail 1" or "maxfail 2" instead. Thanks, I'll try that. > Note that most GPRS implementations, at least the ones I've seen, are > horror shows, and that stems, at least in part, from execrable > "standards" set for their use of Internet protocols. Your mileage > may vary. I guess it's "good" to know. > If your "failures" involve losing IP routing while the PPP link is up, > then that may just be par for the course. You'll need some other > monitoring system to tell you when or if that happens. There's > nothing that PPP can possibly do to help with that; it's only a link > layer protocol. Of course, but from what I can see from logs, the problem seems to come from the point-to-point link. > > So, I think either I missed the options needed to do what I need, or > > there is a tool to manage pppd that I don't know, or it is not > > implemented at all. > > > > If if is not implemented at all, is it intended? Would it be fine > > if I submit a patch doing this? > > Submitting patches is fine, but if you do so, please indicate > precisely what the patch does and (if possible) why the existing > features don't fulfill your needs. It's often very hard to review > changes out of the blue that don't appear to solve problems. Indeed, and this is why I asked before wasting everyone's time. Thanks for all the valuable informations. -- SGA Automation 27 Rue Jean-Philippe Rameau Pôle Delta 76000 Rouen Tel : 02 32 10 38 53 Fax : 02 32 10 11 30 www.sga-automation.com Email : berenger.morel@sga-automation.com