linux-ppp.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Dan Carpenter <dan.carpenter@oracle.com>
To: linux-ppp@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [bug report] ppp: fix 'ppp_mp_reconstruct bad seq' errors
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2021 12:37:22 +0000	[thread overview]

On Sat, Jul 31, 2021 at 02:36:03PM -0400, James Carlson wrote:

> > > Here is where Smatch complains.
> >
> > If that's Smatch's analysis of the situation, then Smatch is wrong.
> > It's a bogus warning.
>
> For what it's worth, it's not my code, and I agree that it's at least a bit
> hard to follow, and may well harbor bugs.  If you're suggesting either some
> kind of suppression directive (I tried looking for some Smatch documentation
> but couldn't find much to suggest that's possible, though I guess now that
> you'd be the one who knows for sure), or adding something like "u32 nextseq
> = PPP_CB(tail)->sequence + 1;" around line 2795, and then using
> "ppp->nextseq = nextseq;" on 2840, then I'd be in favor of that, at least to
> make the tool happy.

No. No.  Never change the code just to make the tool happy.  Of course,
I misread this in two different ways because the first time I didn't
spot the break statement and the second time I got skb_queue_walk_safe()
and skb_queue_walk_from_safe().  But it's not really hard to read if
you're more familiar with those macros.

I've investigated this and it turns out the problem is a kind of known
issue with how Smatch parses lists.  I've avoided fixing this for years
because parsing lists correctly will be a big slow down and it's a
quite a big project but probably I should just fix it.  Maybe later this
year.

regards,
dan carpenter