Hello Thierry, On Thu, Jul 08, 2021 at 04:07:14PM +0200, Thierry Reding wrote: > On Thu, Jul 08, 2021 at 02:36:39PM +0200, Uwe Kleine-König wrote: > > On Thu, Jul 01, 2021 at 10:27:50AM +0200, Uwe Kleine-König wrote: > > > Geert Uytterhoeven found a regression in one of my patches. The same > > > problem exists in several further commits. The respective drivers are > > > fixed in this series. > > > > > > The affected commits for the first patch is already in v5.4, so this > > > patch should maybe backported to stable. > > > The others are in Thierry's for-next branch only. > > > > These four broken patches were now included in your pull request to > > Linus for v5.14-rc1 but these fixes were not. I wonder that the > > regression Geert reported made you back out the offending commit but you > > didn't care for the four identical problems in pwm-spear, pwm-tiecap, > > pwm-berlin and pwm-ep93xx. Did you miss this series? > > Ugh... this is a nice big mess now. In retrospect I should've just > backed out all those patches. Or rather not have applied them in the > first place until they got a Tested-by. Agreed, this isn't as optimal as it could have been. My conclusions are a bit different though. I took the time to look at the details for these changes: - 2021-04-11 I sent "pwm: Ensure for legacy drivers that pwm->state stays consistent" to the linux-pwm list. - 2021-06-27 The merge window for 5.14 opened - 2021-06-28 You applied the patch, it then appeared in next-20210629 for the first time in next. - 2021-06-29 Geert reported the regression - 2021-06-30 You dropped the commit. - 2021-07-01 I sent a fixed patch and incremental fixes for the same problems in the other drivers. - 2021-07-08 Thierry sent a pull request containing the four broken (and unfixed) commits. For me the conclusions here are: - Patches on the mailing list are not widely tested (So I think waiting for Tested-bys isn't a pragmatic option unless maybe we start adding more people to MAINTAINERS.) - Changes in next get (some) testing. And so I think changes should be put into next earlier than it was the case in this release cycle and it might be beneficial to check for unapplied fixes before sending out a PR. Feel free to communicate with me before sending the next PR if there is something on my radar that is missing in your for-next branch. > I'll pull in this series and will send this as a follow-up pull request. Great. Uwe -- Pengutronix e.K. | Uwe Kleine-König | Industrial Linux Solutions | https://www.pengutronix.de/ |