On 3/22/2016 6:23 PM, Or Gerlitz wrote: > On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 10:50 PM, Doug Ledford wrote: >> This is a monster pull request. I held off on the hfi1 driver updates >> (the hfi1 driver is intimately tied to the qib driver and the new rdmavt >> software library that was created to help both of them) in my first pull >> request. The hfi1/qib/rdmavt update is probably 90% of this pull >> request. The hfi1 driver is being left in staging so that it can be >> fixed up in regards to the API that Al and yourself didn't like. > [...] >> Round two of 4.6 merge window patches > [...] >> - A huge set of updates to the Intel hfi1 driver. Of particular interest >> here is that we have left the driver in staging since it still has an >> API that people object to. Intel is working on a fix, but getting >> these patches in now helps keep me sane as the upstream and Intel's >> trees were over 300 patches apart. > >> Mitko Haralanov (41): > [...] >> IB/hfi1: Re-factor MMU notification code >> IB/hfi1: Allow MMU function execution in IRQ context >> IB/hfi1: Prevent NULL pointer dereference >> IB/hfi1: Allow remove MMU callbacks to free nodes >> IB/hfi1: Remove the use of add/remove RB function pointers >> IB/hfi1: Notify remove MMU/RB callback of calling context >> IB/hfi1: Use interval RB trees >> IB/hfi1: Add MMU tracing >> IB/hfi1: Remove compare callback >> IB/hfi1: Add filter callback >> IB/hfi1: Adjust last address values for intervals >> IB/hfi1: Implement SDMA-side buffer caching >> IB/hfi1: Add pin query function >> IB/hfi1: Specify mm when releasing pages >> IB/hfi1: Switch to using the pin query function >> IB/hfi1: Add SDMA cache eviction algorithm > > Doug, this series is under review and a reviewer (me...) have posted > comments claiming that such pin down cache doesn't belong to kernel > but rather to be part of a user-space library [1] > > This comment still hold even though the cache is serving a proprietary > (non verbs) user-space code b/c it claims that code X doesn't belong > to the kernel and we need not load into the kernel what doesn't belong > there. > > Could you please comment why not let the discussion converge and/or > hear your maintainer opinion on the matter before this is pushed up to > Linus? > > Or. > > [1] http://marc.info/?t=145746462200001&r=1&w=2 > You made your arguments, which I thought were nebulous in the first place ("does not belong in the kernel" is not a well defined objection, it's like saying "I don't like that", you would need a more concise objection to carry stronger weight). Their response to your argument was that putting it in the kernel saves multiple context switches per memory region in the cache. This was a sufficient answer IMO (context switches are expensive and on 100GBit hardware, multiple context switches that aren't needed is positively huge).