On Thu, 2019-09-26 at 20:05 +0200, Greg KH wrote: > On Thu, Sep 26, 2019 at 09:45:00AM -0700, Jeff Kirsher wrote: > > From: Tony Nguyen > > > > The RDMA block does not advertise on the PCI bus or any other bus. > > Huh? How do you "know" where it is then? Isn't is usually assigned > to > a PCI device? The RDMA block does not have its own PCI function so it must register and interact with the ice driver. > > > Thus the ice driver needs to provide access to the RDMA hardware > > block > > via a virtual bus; utilize a multi-function device to provide this > > access. > > > > This patch initializes the driver to support RDMA as well as > > creates > > and registers a multi-function device for the RDMA driver to > > register to. > > At this point the driver is fully initialized to register a > > platform > > driver, however, can not yet register as the ops have not been > > implemented. > > > > We refer to the interaction of this platform device as Inter-Driver > > Communication (IDC); where the platform device is referred to as > > the peer > > device and the platform driver is referred to as the peer driver. > > Again, no platform devices, unless it REALLY IS a platform device > (i.e. > you are using device tree or platform data to find it.) Is that what > you are doing here? > Sorry, this was an oversight. When I was changing the wording in the commit message away from platform device, I missed this one. I will rewrite the commit message to make things clearer and correct the platform device reference. Thanks, Tony