linux-riscv.lists.infradead.org archive mirror
* kbuild change breaks HiFive-U boot here
@ 2019-10-04 17:48 Paul Walmsley
From: Paul Walmsley @ 2019-10-04 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-riscv; +Cc: yamada.masahiro, linux-kernel

Commit 858805b336be1cabb3d9033adaa3676574d12e37 ("kbuild: add $(BASH) to
run scripts with bash-extension") breaks my kernel test flow that targets
the HiFive Unleashed board.  The boot traps during BBL early boot and
stops.  QEMU is unaffected.  Reverting 858805b336be fixes the issue.

I haven't yet had the opportunity to root-cause the issue.  The issue may
be related to idiosyncracies in my local boot testing process, rather
than this commit.

- Paul

* Re: kbuild change breaks HiFive-U boot here
@ 2019-10-05  3:12 ` Masahiro Yamada
From: Masahiro Yamada @ 2019-10-05  3:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Paul,

On Sat, Oct 5, 2019 at 2:48 AM Paul Walmsley <paul.walmsley@sifive.com> wrote:

> Commit 858805b336be1cabb3d9033adaa3676574d12e37 ("kbuild: add $(BASH) to
> run scripts with bash-extension") breaks my kernel test flow that targets
> the HiFive Unleashed board.  The boot traps during BBL early boot and
> stops.  QEMU is unaffected.  Reverting 858805b336be fixes the issue.

The reason is because
a shell script using bash-extension is run by 'sh' instead of 'bash'.

Run 'git grep CONFIG_SHELL', then can you find a suspicious script?
Is there a warning/error message in the build log?

--
Best Regards
Masahiro Yamada