linux-riscv.lists.infradead.org archive mirror
* Current options for Linux on RISC-V?
@ 2019-12-24 13:27 Drew Fustini
From: Drew Fustini @ 2019-12-24 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-riscv

Hello, I'm giving a talk about Linux, Open Source Hardware and RISC-V
this Sunday at the Chaos Communication Congress (36c3) in Germany [1].

I want to make sure I am up-to-date about the current ways that people
could run Linux on RISC-V:

- QEMU on x86 (Fedora / Debian)
- SiFive Freedom Unleashed board (unfortunately expensive)
- Kendryte K210 (NOMMU, limited SRAM, I am not sure how to reproduce
the LPC demo) [2]
- RISC-V soft core on Xilinix or Altera FPGA with proprietary toolchain
- LiteX-On-Linux with VexRIscV on Lattice ECP5 FPGA with and open
source tools (trellis, yosys, nextpnr)
- Microchip/MicroSemi PolarFire SoC (stil coming soon?)
- Future: OpenHW Group and NXP making RISC-V iMX-style SoC?

Any other options that I missed?

Thank you,
Drew

[1] https://fahrplan.events.ccc.de/congress/2019/Fahrplan/events/10549.html
[2] https://youtu.be/ycG592N9EMA?t=10394

* Re: Current options for Linux on RISC-V?
@ 2019-12-24 14:54 ` Charles Papon
From: Charles Papon @ 2019-12-24 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Fustini; +Cc: linux-riscv

Hi,

Recently, there is also SaxonSoc, also based on VexRiscv, on Artix7 and ECP5 :
https://github.com/SpinalHDL/SaxonSoc/tree/dev/bsp/Arty7Linux
https://github.com/SpinalHDL/SaxonSoc/tree/dev/bsp/Ulx3sLinuxUboot

u-boot + sdcard are used for the bootloading sequence.

Have fun in CCC ^^

Charles

@ 2019-12-25  4:44 ` Damien Le Moal
From: Damien Le Moal @ 2019-12-25  4:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Fustini, linux-riscv

On 2019/12/24 22:28, Drew Fustini wrote:
> Hello, I'm giving a talk about Linux, Open Source Hardware and RISC-V
> this Sunday at the Chaos Communication Congress (36c3) in Germany [1].
>
> I want to make sure I am up-to-date about the current ways that people
> could run Linux on RISC-V:
>
> - QEMU on x86 (Fedora / Debian)
> - SiFive Freedom Unleashed board (unfortunately expensive)
> - Kendryte K210 (NOMMU, limited SRAM, I am not sure how to reproduce
> the LPC demo) [2]

The K210 specific code is still missing upstream. I have not yet posted
anything, lack of time being the prime reason. We still need a proper
device tree, a defconfig and additional code for enabling the last 2MB
of SRAM which are not automatically enabled by the HW on power up.

Flatbin format for userland would work, but proper FDPIC support would
be nicer. gcc and uclibc will need work for that to happen. We are
currently looking at that.

--
Damien Le Moal
Western Digital Research