linux-rt-users.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net>
To: linux-rt-users@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] 4.19.72-rt25
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2019 06:21:55 -0400	[thread overview]

On Wednesday 09 October 2019 03:23:49 Alexander Dahl wrote:

> Hello Gene,
>
> Am Montag, 7. Oktober 2019, 15:16:04 CEST schrieb Gene Heskett:
> > On Monday 07 October 2019 15:10:05 Gene Heskett wrote:
> > > Unfortunately, this does not work for the pi3-4 family. When its
> > > all pulled in and patched, there is no arch/arm/configs
> > > bcm2709_defconfig or bcm2711_defconfig for either a pi3b or the
> > > new pi4b.
> > >
> > > I'll go find the 5.2.14 announce and see if its any more complete.
> >
> > Its disappeared.
>
> Not quite. Those were never (?) there. ;-)
>
> You'll find those files in the raspberrypi tree [1], but not in
> mainline.
>
> It is possible to run a vanilla kernel on RPi 1 to 3, I guess the
> 'multi_v7_defconfig' is a good start for 2 and 3. (This works, I have
> a running RPi 3 with unpatched mainline kernel on my desk, without RT
> however.)
>
> IIRC from linux-arm-kernel list, basic support for RPi 4 is still
> under review and not yet present in mainline?
>
> So you could try a RPi 2 or 3 with mainline + RT or you try to apply
> the RT patches to the vendor/raspberry tree, but I would not count on
> anyone supporting the latter.
>
> HTH & Greets
> Alex

Its being done by at least 3 people on the lcnc forum right now, but they
are also using an ethernet interface, which it will cost me around $250
to swap to, AND cost me my net connection. Thats not going to happen if
I can help it, spi is working quite well on the pi3's. Bertho has it
working on the pi4's he thinks but I'm the only one running that
hardware so its up to me to prove it.

But my push right now is to get the new, 40x faster video available in
later stretch, working with lcnc on the pi3. I can't touch buster
because of the wayland virus.

Once thats done, then putting in the pi4 with only the hm2_rpspi.so
update should get it working with the pi4. One step at a time IOW. The
pi4 is powered up, and theoreticly all I have to do is change the
default rt defconfig from a bm2709 to a bcm2711, build and install.
Theoretically...  Damn thats a big word ;-)

Thanks Alexander.

> [1] https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)