Linux-rt-users archive on lore.kernel.org
From: Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net>
To: "linux-rt-users@vger.kernel.org" <linux-rt-users@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: Crash tool issue since printk re-implementation
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2020 09:11:36 -0500

On Friday 14 February 2020 08:42:57 John Ogness wrote:

> On 2020-02-14, Sebastian Andrzej Siewior <bigeasy@linutronix.de> wrote:
> > On 2020-02-12 12:10:23 [+0000], Sebastien Fabre wrote:
> >> Since kernel v5.0, PREEMPT_RT patches contain printk
> >> re-implementation. This re-implementation removes some log symbols
> >> in VMCOREINFO and crash tool cannot retrieve kernel logs (because
> >> symbols no more exist).  Is this impact on crash expected? If so,
> >> how can we retrieve a functional crash tool with kernel v5.0 (and
> >> following) ?
> >
> > It is known, yes. I'm aware of crash and the gdb scritps should also
> > suffer from this.
>
> Perhaps this should be listed under the "Known issues" of the
> PREEMPT_RT release announcements.
>
> John Ogness

I would like to agree, as I think that explains why an attempt to build
5+ in this preempt-rt flavor, on an rpi4, for an rpi4 has been a no boot
failure.

Plus it appears I'd have to replace the bootloader because raspian puts
the overlays in a /boot/overlays subdir whereas you are putting them
in /boot (I think, I haven't found the .config magic twanger that puts
them in the overlays subdir.)

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis