Linux-rt-users archive on lore.kernel.org
From: Steven Rostedt <rostedt@goodmis.org>
To: Pavel Machek <pavel@denx.de>
Cc: Tom Zanussi <zanussi@kernel.org>,
	LKML <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>,
	linux-rt-users <linux-rt-users@vger.kernel.org>,
	Thomas Gleixner <tglx@linutronix.de>,
	Carsten Emde <C.Emde@osadl.org>, John Kacur <jkacur@redhat.com>,
	Sebastian Andrzej Siewior <bigeasy@linutronix.de>,
	Daniel Wagner <wagi@monom.org>,
	Clark Williams <williams@redhat.com>,
	Kate Stewart <kstewart@linuxfoundation.org>
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] 4.19.132-rt59
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2020 15:43:52 -0400

On Tue, 14 Jul 2020 20:35:12 +0200
Pavel Machek <pavel@denx.de> wrote:

> Hi!
>

> > I'm pleased to announce the 4.19.132-rt59 stable release.
> >
> > This release is just an update to the new stable 4.19.132
> > version and no RT specific changes have been made.
> >
> > You can get this release via the git tree at:
> >
> >   git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/rt/linux-stable-rt.git
> >
> >   branch: v4.19-rt
> >   Head SHA1: 1eebf4069aa37e54330cce9a42608517ea6996fe
> >
> > Or to build 4.19.132-rt59 directly, the following patches should be
> > applied:
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> But now I am confused, I completely missed announcements for
> v4.19.127-rt55 to v4.19.131-rt58.
>
> And for example -rt56 is not listed in
>
> https://mirrors.edge.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/projects/rt/4.19/older/sha256sums.asc
>
> ...aha, and the versions do not have signed tags, either:
>
> pavel@amd:~/cip/k$ git show v4.19.131-rt58
> fatal: ambiguous argument 'v4.19.131-rt58': unknown revision or path not in the working tree.
>
> Is that because they were created just as quick steps towards -rt59?

Ah, I was about to say this is something that Kate keeps reminding me
to add to the wiki, but looking, I already did!

https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/realtime/documentation/start

"Tagging policy of the PREEMPT_RT stable releases. Each PREEMPT_RT
stable release is tagged with the version number of the upstream Linux
stable kernel as well as its own “-rt” counter that is appended. The
-rt counter will increment for the following:

 - When forward ported to the latest upstream Linux stable version.
 - When any merge with a upstream Linux stable causes a conflict.
 - When a backport of the PREEMPT_RT development branch is done.

A backport will not be done with a forward port of a stable version.
They will be done separately, and tagged separately."

Tom, I sign all tags, we probably should be consistent with that too.

-- Steve

  parent reply index