linux-rtc.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* rtc rtc0: Timeout trying to get valid LPSRT Counter read
@ 2020-01-02  8:40 JH
From: JH @ 2020-01-02  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-rtc

Hi,

I am running kernel 4.19 on imx6, could anyone help for clues what
that error is about? What I could be missing and how to fix it?

Thank you.

Kind regards,

- jh

* Re: rtc rtc0: Timeout trying to get valid LPSRT Counter read
@ 2020-01-12 11:03 ` Alexandre Belloni
From: Alexandre Belloni @ 2020-01-12 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: JH; +Cc: linux-rtc

Hi,

On 02/01/2020 19:40:10+1100, JH wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am running kernel 4.19 on imx6, could anyone help for clues what
> that error is about? What I could be missing and how to fix it?

I'd say that you have an issue with the 32k clock or tamper detection,
have a look at this commit:

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=cd7f3a249dbed2858e6c2f30e5be7f1f7a709ee2

--
Alexandre Belloni, Bootlin
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering

* Re: rtc rtc0: Timeout trying to get valid LPSRT Counter read
@ 2020-01-30  2:36   ` JH
From: JH @ 2020-01-30  2:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexandre Belloni; +Cc: linux-rtc

Hi Alexandre,

Thanks for your response.

On 1/12/20, Alexandre Belloni <alexandre.belloni@bootlin.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 02/01/2020 19:40:10+1100, JH wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am running kernel 4.19 on imx6, could anyone help for clues what
>> that error is about? What I could be missing and how to fix it?
>>

> I'd say that you have an issue with the 32k clock or tamper detection,
> have a look at this commit:
>
> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=cd7f3a249dbed2858e6c2f30e5be7f1f7a709ee2

Is that a patch for 4.19.75? Or where can I download the patch for 4.19.75?

Thank you so much for the help.

Kind regards,

- jh

@ 2020-01-30 10:47     ` Alexandre Belloni
From: Alexandre Belloni @ 2020-01-30 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: JH; +Cc: linux-rtc

On 30/01/2020 13:36:26+1100, JH wrote:
> Hi Alexandre,
>
> Thanks for your response.
>
> On 1/12/20, Alexandre Belloni <alexandre.belloni@bootlin.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On 02/01/2020 19:40:10+1100, JH wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I am running kernel 4.19 on imx6, could anyone help for clues what
> >> that error is about? What I could be missing and how to fix it?
> >>

> > I'd say that you have an issue with the 32k clock or tamper detection,
> > have a look at this commit:
> >
> > https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=cd7f3a249dbed2858e6c2f30e5be7f1f7a709ee2
>
> Is that a patch for 4.19.75? Or where can I download the patch for 4.19.75?

This patch was included in 4.19. It introduced the message you are
seeing and the commit message explains why you are seeing it.

--

@ 2020-01-30 11:27       ` JH
From: JH @ 2020-01-30 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexandre Belloni; +Cc: linux-rtc

Hi Alexandre,

On 1/30/20, Alexandre Belloni <alexandre.belloni@bootlin.com> wrote:
> On 30/01/2020 13:36:26+1100, JH wrote:
>> Hi Alexandre,
>>
>> Thanks for your response.
>>
>> On 1/12/20, Alexandre Belloni <alexandre.belloni@bootlin.com> wrote:
>> > Hi,

>> > I'd say that you have an issue with the 32k clock or tamper detection,
>> > have a look at this commit:
>> >
>> > https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=cd7f3a249dbed2858e6c2f30e5be7f1f7a709ee2
>>
>> Is that a patch for 4.19.75? Or where can I download the patch for
>> 4.19.75?
>>

> This patch was included in 4.19. It introduced the message you are
> seeing and the commit message explains why you are seeing it.

So it was already included in 4.19, I don't need to patch it, that is
good :-). Sorry I am still not clear how to stop that error message of
"rtc rtc0: Timeout trying to get valid LPSRT Counter read", the
message says "To avoid kernel hangs, put in timeouts", I am running
kernel 4.19.75 on iMX6, where should I put in timeouts?

Thank you very much for your kind help.

Kind regards,

- jupiter

@ 2020-01-30 14:40         ` Alexandre Belloni
From: Alexandre Belloni @ 2020-01-30 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: JH; +Cc: linux-rtc

On 30/01/2020 22:27:37+1100, JH wrote:
> Hi Alexandre,
>
> On 1/30/20, Alexandre Belloni <alexandre.belloni@bootlin.com> wrote:
> > On 30/01/2020 13:36:26+1100, JH wrote:
> >> Hi Alexandre,
> >>
> >> Thanks for your response.

> >> Is that a patch for 4.19.75? Or where can I download the patch for
> >> 4.19.75?
> >>

> > This patch was included in 4.19. It introduced the message you are
> > seeing and the commit message explains why you are seeing it.
>
> So it was already included in 4.19, I don't need to patch it, that is
> good :-). Sorry I am still not clear how to stop that error message of
> "rtc rtc0: Timeout trying to get valid LPSRT Counter read", the
> message says "To avoid kernel hangs, put in timeouts", I am running
> kernel 4.19.75 on iMX6, where should I put in timeouts?

The patch is adding the timeouts, without them, your kernel would be
freezing. I'd say your issue is the 32k clock.

--

@ 2020-01-31  5:27           ` JH
From: JH @ 2020-01-31  5:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexandre Belloni; +Cc: linux-rtc

Hi Alexandre,

On 1/31/20, Alexandre Belloni <alexandre.belloni@bootlin.com> wrote:
>> So it was already included in 4.19, I don't need to patch it, that is
>> good :-). Sorry I am still not clear how to stop that error message of
>> "rtc rtc0: Timeout trying to get valid LPSRT Counter read", the
>> message says "To avoid kernel hangs, put in timeouts", I am running
>> kernel 4.19.75 on iMX6, where should I put in timeouts?
>>

> The patch is adding the timeouts, without them, your kernel would be
> freezing. I'd say your issue is the 32k clock.

Did you mean that is the issue of the hardware setup IMX6ULL for 32k
RTC_XTALI? That is nominal frequency 32.768 kHz for IMX6ULL EVK and
customized devices. Change to which frequency (64k?) can fix the
problem and remove the error message?

Thank you very much Alexandre,

Kind regards,

- jupiter

@ 2020-01-31 14:13             ` Alexandre Belloni
From: Alexandre Belloni @ 2020-01-31 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: JH; +Cc: linux-rtc

On 31/01/2020 16:27:15+1100, JH wrote:
> Hi Alexandre,
>
> On 1/31/20, Alexandre Belloni <alexandre.belloni@bootlin.com> wrote:
> >> So it was already included in 4.19, I don't need to patch it, that is
> >> good :-). Sorry I am still not clear how to stop that error message of
> >> "rtc rtc0: Timeout trying to get valid LPSRT Counter read", the
> >> message says "To avoid kernel hangs, put in timeouts", I am running
> >> kernel 4.19.75 on iMX6, where should I put in timeouts?
> >>

> > The patch is adding the timeouts, without them, your kernel would be
> > freezing. I'd say your issue is the 32k clock.
>
> Did you mean that is the issue of the hardware setup IMX6ULL for 32k
> RTC_XTALI? That is nominal frequency 32.768 kHz for IMX6ULL EVK and
> customized devices. Change to which frequency (64k?) can fix the
> problem and remove the error message?

I can't help much more without seeing the schematics of your particular
board. 32k is the correct frequency but are your sure it is going to the
RTC? Are you sure you have power on VDD_SNVS_IN? Was there a security
violation detected?

--

@ 2020-01-31 23:36               ` JH
From: JH @ 2020-01-31 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexandre Belloni; +Cc: linux-rtc

Hi Alexandre,

On 2/1/20, Alexandre Belloni <alexandre.belloni@bootlin.com> wrote:
> On 31/01/2020 16:27:15+1100, JH wrote:
>> Hi Alexandre,

>> > The patch is adding the timeouts, without them, your kernel would be
>> > freezing. I'd say your issue is the 32k clock.
>>
>> Did you mean that is the issue of the hardware setup IMX6ULL for 32k
>> RTC_XTALI? That is nominal frequency 32.768 kHz for IMX6ULL EVK and
>> customized devices. Change to which frequency (64k?) can fix the
>> problem and remove the error message?
>>

> I can't help much more without seeing the schematics of your particular
> board. 32k is the correct frequency but are your sure it is going to the
> RTC? Are you sure you have power on VDD_SNVS_IN? Was there a security
> violation detected?

The XTALI and XTALO is connected to 24 MHz Y501 XTALI Oscillator, the
RTC_XTALI and RTC_XTALO is connected to Y502 32.768KHZ crystal. Don't
know about VDD_SNVS_IN,  The hardware was designed by an experienced
hardware engineers, I am not sure if they could make any silly
mistakes.

Thank you Alexandre,

Kind regards,

- jh