linux-scsi.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* blktests failures with v6.6
@ 2023-11-01  4:09 Shinichiro Kawasaki
From: Shinichiro Kawasaki @ 2023-11-01  4:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-block, linux-nvme, linux-scsi

Hi all,

I ran the latest blktests (git hash: 3f75e6241f6b) with v6.6 kernel, and obseved
four failures below. They are all known for months.

As for the two other failures observed with v6.6-rc1 kernel [1], they are no
longer observed with v6.6 kernel. Good.

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/linux-block/u4g3jh6dnowouthos3tdex2pflzo3hat55e5dc4j6pul3a3uov@y2axtbiura2q/

List of failures
================
#1: block/011
#2: nvme/003 (fabrics transport)
#3: nvme/* (fc transport)
#4: srp/002, 011 (rdma_rxe driver)

Failure description
===================

#1: block/011

   The test case fails with NVME devices due to lockdep WARNING "possible
   circular locking dependency detected". Reported in Sep/2022 [2]. In LSF
   2023, it was noted that this failure should be fixed.

   Also, it was found recently that this test case still causes failure of
   following tests. Fix work is ongoing [3].

   [2] https://lore.kernel.org/linux-block/20220930001943.zdbvolc3gkekfmcv@shindev/
   [3] https://github.com/kawasaki/blktests/commit/f540cbb0eeb66e2c76a88efbe65a2b59d55630fd

#2: nvme/003 (fabrics transport)

   When nvme test group is run with trtype=rdma or tcp, the test case fails
   due to lockdep WARNING "possible circular locking dependency detected".
   Reported in May/2023. Fix discussions were held [4][5].

   [4] https://lore.kernel.org/linux-nvme/20230511150321.103172-1-bvanassche@acm.org/
   [5] https://lore.kernel.org/linux-nvme/5cb63b10-72ab-4b7c-7574-48583ea8ffd1@grimberg.me/

#3: nvme/* (fc transport)

   With trtype=fc configuration, test run on nvme test group hangs. Daniel is
   driving fix work.

#4: srp/002, 011 (rdma_rxe driver)

   Test process hang is observed occasionally. Reported to the relevant mailing
   lists in Aug/2023 [6]. Blktests was modified to change default driver from
   rdma_rxe to siw to avoid impacts on blktests users. Root cause is not yet
   understood. Bob and Bart have spent time to chase it down (Thank you).

   [6] https://lore.kernel.org/linux-rdma/18a3ae8c-145b-4c7f-a8f5-67840feeb98c@acm.org/T/#mee9882c2cfd0cfff33caa04e75418576f4c7a789

* Re: blktests failures with v6.6
@ 2023-11-01 10:33 ` Hannes Reinecke
From: Hannes Reinecke @ 2023-11-01 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shinichiro Kawasaki, linux-block, linux-nvme, linux-scsi

On 11/1/23 05:09, Shinichiro Kawasaki wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I ran the latest blktests (git hash: 3f75e6241f6b) with v6.6 kernel, and obseved
> four failures below. They are all known for months.
>
> As for the two other failures observed with v6.6-rc1 kernel [1], they are no
> longer observed with v6.6 kernel. Good.
>
> [1] https://lore.kernel.org/linux-block/u4g3jh6dnowouthos3tdex2pflzo3hat55e5dc4j6pul3a3uov@y2axtbiura2q/
>
> List of failures
> ================
> #1: block/011
> #2: nvme/003 (fabrics transport)
> #3: nvme/* (fc transport)
> #4: srp/002, 011 (rdma_rxe driver)
>
> Failure description
> ===================
>
> #1: block/011
>
>     The test case fails with NVME devices due to lockdep WARNING "possible
>     circular locking dependency detected". Reported in Sep/2022 [2]. In LSF
>     2023, it was noted that this failure should be fixed.
>
>     Also, it was found recently that this test case still causes failure of
>     following tests. Fix work is ongoing [3].
>
>     [2] https://lore.kernel.org/linux-block/20220930001943.zdbvolc3gkekfmcv@shindev/
>     [3] https://github.com/kawasaki/blktests/commit/f540cbb0eeb66e2c76a88efbe65a2b59d55630fd
>
> #2: nvme/003 (fabrics transport)
>
>     When nvme test group is run with trtype=rdma or tcp, the test case fails
>     due to lockdep WARNING "possible circular locking dependency detected".
>     Reported in May/2023. Fix discussions were held [4][5].
>
>     [4] https://lore.kernel.org/linux-nvme/20230511150321.103172-1-bvanassche@acm.org/
>     [5] https://lore.kernel.org/linux-nvme/5cb63b10-72ab-4b7c-7574-48583ea8ffd1@grimberg.me/

Just send a patchset which should resolve these issues.
Can you test with them?

Cheers,

Hannes
--
Dr. Hannes Reinecke                Kernel Storage Architect
hare@suse.de                              +49 911 74053 688

* Re: blktests failures with v6.6
@ 2023-11-01 12:37   ` Shinichiro Kawasaki
From: Shinichiro Kawasaki @ 2023-11-01 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hannes Reinecke; +Cc: linux-block, linux-nvme, linux-scsi

On Nov 01, 2023 / 11:33, Hannes Reinecke wrote:
> On 11/1/23 05:09, Shinichiro Kawasaki wrote:
[...]
> > #2: nvme/003 (fabrics transport)
> >
> >     When nvme test group is run with trtype=rdma or tcp, the test case fails
> >     due to lockdep WARNING "possible circular locking dependency detected".
> >     Reported in May/2023. Fix discussions were held [4][5].
> >
> >     [4] https://lore.kernel.org/linux-nvme/20230511150321.103172-1-bvanassche@acm.org/
> >     [5] https://lore.kernel.org/linux-nvme/5cb63b10-72ab-4b7c-7574-48583ea8ffd1@grimberg.me/
> >
> Just send a patchset which should resolve these issues.
> Can you test with them?

Hannes, thank you very much! This failure magically disappeared with your patch
set. I confirmed it both trtype=rdma and tcp :)