linux-security-module.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Re: [git pull] vfs.git mount.part1
       [not found] <20190104192648.GO2217@ZenIV.linux.org.uk>
@ 2019-01-05 19:31 ` Eric W. Biederman
From: Eric W. Biederman @ 2019-01-05 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Al Viro
  Cc: Linus Torvalds, linux-kernel, linux-fsdevel, linux-security-module

Al Viro <viro@zeniv.linux.org.uk> writes:

> 	mount API prereqs.  Mostly that's LSM mount options cleanups.
> One trivial conflict in security/selinux/hooks.c, resolved by taking
> the variant from this branch - the method has been split, leaving
> only the part that used to be conditional upon "it's not an internal
> mount" and check has been moved into the caller of the remaining piece.
> The last commit in this pile ("mount_fs: suppress MAC on MS_SUBMOUNT as
> well as MS_KERNMOUNT") is an equivalent of the conflict-creating
> mainline change.
> 	There are several minor fixes in there, but nothing
> earth-shattering (leaks on failure exits, mostly).

Am I completely blind or has this code never been posted for reivew?

I know you stuffed something in linux-next, and I saw quite a bit of
consternation from several of the security folks at the time when
testing on linux-next started reporting failures.

Currently on the linux-security-module list there is an unanswered
question by Casey Schaufler <casey@schaufler-ca.com> of which
tree this work is being performed on.

I know I asked you explicitly when you would be posting this code
for review and did not get an answer.

I know I saw bug activity on your tree right up to the day Linus made
his stable release.  I keeping an eye out in the hopes that there would
be something to review.

Not having had a chance to review this code I can't really comment on
the quality of this code.  What I do know from a glance is that
you have not removed FS_BINARY_MOUNTDATA.  Which is the root cause
of some of the crazy security mount option processing, and is an if
not greater mess than what the security options have been doing with
mount options.

The FS_BINARY_MOUNTDATA flag is only relevant for coda and for nfs
backwards compatiblity.  The FS_BINARY_MOUNTDATA flag is only set on
btrfs to allow calling mount_subtree.

I have a set of patches that is finally reasonablly stable and cleans up
all of the mess in the current internal mount apis that should allow
implementing the new mount api to be much less error prone.  My plan is
to start posting it as soon as the merge window closes.

I would really appreciate it if we can work together on this the next
development cycle, and not try and rush and get things out and merged
without proper review, and care.  That has already led to problems.

Eric

@ 2019-01-05 20:45   ` Al Viro
From: Al Viro @ 2019-01-05 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric W. Biederman
  Cc: Linus Torvalds, linux-kernel, linux-fsdevel, linux-security-module

On Sat, Jan 05, 2019 at 01:31:21PM -0600, Eric W. Biederman wrote:

> Not having had a chance to review this code I can't really comment on
> the quality of this code.  What I do know from a glance is that
> you have not removed FS_BINARY_MOUNTDATA.  Which is the root cause
> of some of the crazy security mount option processing, and is an if
> not greater mess than what the security options have been doing with
> mount options.
>
> The FS_BINARY_MOUNTDATA flag is only relevant for coda and for nfs
> backwards compatiblity.  The FS_BINARY_MOUNTDATA flag is only set on
> btrfs to allow calling mount_subtree.

... and thus it can't be killed without having dragged the NFS pile
into the entire thing.

> I have a set of patches that is finally reasonablly stable and cleans up
> all of the mess in the current internal mount apis that should allow
> implementing the new mount api to be much less error prone.

Quick question: how do you deal with the differences in quoting for selinux
options and for everything else?

I've no problem with working with you, now that you've resurfaced.
Fair warning: no promises of accepting your solutions.  Along with
a promise to reject anything that breaks existing setups, which your
earlier proposals did.  With NFS among the victims, IIRC.