linux-security-module.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Joel Granados <j.granados@samsung.com>
To: Paul Moore <paul@paul-moore.com>
Cc: Luis Chamberlain <mcgrof@kernel.org>,
	Kanchan Joshi <joshi.k@samsung.com>, <ddiss@suse.de>,
	<linux-security-module@vger.kernel.org>,
	<io-uring@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [RFC 1/1] Use ioctl selinux callback io_uring commands that implement the ioctl op convention
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2022 12:18:49 +0100	[thread overview]

On Mon, Nov 21, 2022 at 04:05:37PM -0500, Paul Moore wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 21, 2022 at 2:53 PM Luis Chamberlain <mcgrof@kernel.org> wrote:

> > > Passing a function pointer to the LSM to fetch, what will likely be
> > > just a constant value, seems kinda ugly, but I guess we only have ugly
> > > options at this point.
> >
> > I am not sure if this helps yet, but queued on modules-next we now have
> > an improvement in speed of about 1500x for kallsyms_lookup_name(), and
> > so symbol lookups are now fast. Makes me wonder if a type of special
> > export could be drawn up for specific calls which follow a structure
> > and so the respective lsm could be inferred by a prefix instead of
> > placing the calls in-place. Then it would not mattter where a call is
> > used, so long as it would follow a specific pattern / structure with
> > all the crap you need on it.
>
> I suspect we may be talking about different things here, I don't think
> the issue is which LSM(s) may be enabled, as the call is to
> security_uring_cmd() regardless.  I believe the issue is more of how
> do the LSMs determine the target of the io_uring command, e.g. nvme or
> ublk.
I agree, but we might be able to use kallsysms_lookup_name to execute a
callback once we know where the call comes from.

> My understanding is that Joel was suggesting a change to the LSM hook
> to add a function specific pointer (presumably defined as part of the
> file_operations struct) that could be called by the LSM to determine
> the target.
Indeed. I just sent out the RFC. Its at an idea stage and would be great
to hear what you think

> Although now that I'm looking again at the file_operations struct, I
> wonder if we would be better off having the LSMs inspect the
> file_operations::owner field, potentially checking the module::name
> field.  It's a little painful in the sense that it is potentially
> multiple strcmp() calls for each security_uring_cmd() call, but I'm
> not sure the passed function approach would be much better.  Do we
> have a consistent per-module scalar value we can use instead of a
> character string?
This is also a possibility. And with that we might just be able to call
some sort of callback with kallsysms_lookup_name or whatever makes
sense.