linux-security-module.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Re: general protection fault in __schedule (2)
       [not found] <000000000000e67a05057314ddf6@google.com>
@ 2019-11-22  7:19 ` syzbot
From: syzbot @ 2019-11-22  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: casey, frederic, gregkh, hpa, jmattson, jmorris, karahmed,
	kstewart, kvm, linux-kernel, linux-security-module, mingo, mingo,
	pasha.tatashin, pbonzini, pombredanne, rkrcmar, serge,
	syzkaller-bugs, tglx, x86

syzbot has bisected this bug to:

commit 8fcc4b5923af5de58b80b53a069453b135693304
Author: Jim Mattson <jmattson@google.com>
Date:   Tue Jul 10 09:27:20 2018 +0000

     kvm: nVMX: Introduce KVM_CAP_NESTED_STATE

bisection log:  https://syzkaller.appspot.com/x/bisect.txt?x=124cdbace00000
start commit:   234b69e3 ocfs2: fix ocfs2 read block panic
git tree:       upstream
final crash:    https://syzkaller.appspot.com/x/report.txt?x=114cdbace00000
console output: https://syzkaller.appspot.com/x/log.txt?x=164cdbace00000
kernel config:  https://syzkaller.appspot.com/x/.config?x=5fa12be50bca08d8
dashboard link: https://syzkaller.appspot.com/bug?extid=7e2ab84953e4084a638d
syz repro:      https://syzkaller.appspot.com/x/repro.syz?x=150f0a4e400000
C reproducer:   https://syzkaller.appspot.com/x/repro.c?x=17f67111400000

Reported-by: syzbot+7e2ab84953e4084a638d@syzkaller.appspotmail.com
Fixes: 8fcc4b5923af ("kvm: nVMX: Introduce KVM_CAP_NESTED_STATE")

For information about bisection process see: https://goo.gl/tpsmEJ#bisection

* Re: general protection fault in __schedule (2)
@ 2019-11-22 20:54   ` Sean Christopherson
From: Sean Christopherson @ 2019-11-22 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: syzbot
  Cc: casey, frederic, gregkh, hpa, jmattson, jmorris, karahmed,

On Thu, Nov 21, 2019 at 11:19:00PM -0800, syzbot wrote:
> syzbot has bisected this bug to:
>
> commit 8fcc4b5923af5de58b80b53a069453b135693304
> Author: Jim Mattson <jmattson@google.com>
> Date:   Tue Jul 10 09:27:20 2018 +0000
>
>     kvm: nVMX: Introduce KVM_CAP_NESTED_STATE
>
> bisection log:  https://syzkaller.appspot.com/x/bisect.txt?x=124cdbace00000
> start commit:   234b69e3 ocfs2: fix ocfs2 read block panic
> git tree:       upstream
> final crash:    https://syzkaller.appspot.com/x/report.txt?x=114cdbace00000
> console output: https://syzkaller.appspot.com/x/log.txt?x=164cdbace00000
> kernel config:  https://syzkaller.appspot.com/x/.config?x=5fa12be50bca08d8
> dashboard link: https://syzkaller.appspot.com/bug?extid=7e2ab84953e4084a638d
> syz repro:      https://syzkaller.appspot.com/x/repro.syz?x=150f0a4e400000
> C reproducer:   https://syzkaller.appspot.com/x/repro.c?x=17f67111400000
>
> Reported-by: syzbot+7e2ab84953e4084a638d@syzkaller.appspotmail.com
> Fixes: 8fcc4b5923af ("kvm: nVMX: Introduce KVM_CAP_NESTED_STATE")
>
> For information about bisection process see: https://goo.gl/tpsmEJ#bisection

Is there a way to have syzbot stop processing/bisecting these things
after a reasonable amount of time?  The original crash is from August of
last year...

Note, the original crash is actually due to KVM's put_kvm() fd race, but
whatever we want to blame, it's a duplicate.

#syz dup: general protection fault in kvm_lapic_hv_timer_in_use

* Re: general protection fault in __schedule (2)
@ 2019-11-23  5:15     ` Dmitry Vyukov
From: Dmitry Vyukov @ 2019-11-23  5:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sean Christopherson
  Cc: syzbot, Casey Schaufler, Frederic Weisbecker, Greg Kroah-Hartman,
	H. Peter Anvin, Jim Mattson, James Morris, Raslan, KarimAllah,
	Kate Stewart, KVM list, LKML, linux-security-module, Ingo Molnar,
	Ingo Molnar, Pavel Tatashin, Paolo Bonzini, Philippe Ombredanne,
	Radim Krčmář,
	Serge E. Hallyn, syzkaller-bugs, Thomas Gleixner,
	the arch/x86 maintainers

On Fri, Nov 22, 2019 at 9:54 PM Sean Christopherson
<sean.j.christopherson@intel.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 21, 2019 at 11:19:00PM -0800, syzbot wrote:
> > syzbot has bisected this bug to:
> >
> > commit 8fcc4b5923af5de58b80b53a069453b135693304
> > Author: Jim Mattson <jmattson@google.com>
> > Date:   Tue Jul 10 09:27:20 2018 +0000
> >
> >     kvm: nVMX: Introduce KVM_CAP_NESTED_STATE
> >
> > bisection log:  https://syzkaller.appspot.com/x/bisect.txt?x=124cdbace00000
> > start commit:   234b69e3 ocfs2: fix ocfs2 read block panic
> > git tree:       upstream
> > final crash:    https://syzkaller.appspot.com/x/report.txt?x=114cdbace00000
> > console output: https://syzkaller.appspot.com/x/log.txt?x=164cdbace00000
> > kernel config:  https://syzkaller.appspot.com/x/.config?x=5fa12be50bca08d8
> > dashboard link: https://syzkaller.appspot.com/bug?extid=7e2ab84953e4084a638d
> > syz repro:      https://syzkaller.appspot.com/x/repro.syz?x=150f0a4e400000
> > C reproducer:   https://syzkaller.appspot.com/x/repro.c?x=17f67111400000
> >
> > Reported-by: syzbot+7e2ab84953e4084a638d@syzkaller.appspotmail.com
> > Fixes: 8fcc4b5923af ("kvm: nVMX: Introduce KVM_CAP_NESTED_STATE")
> >
> > For information about bisection process see: https://goo.gl/tpsmEJ#bisection
>
> Is there a way to have syzbot stop processing/bisecting these things
> after a reasonable amount of time?  The original crash is from August of
> last year...
>
> Note, the original crash is actually due to KVM's put_kvm() fd race, but
> whatever we want to blame, it's a duplicate.
>
> #syz dup: general protection fault in kvm_lapic_hv_timer_in_use

Hi Sean,

syzbot only sends bisection results to open bugs with no known fixes.
So what you did (marking the bug as invalid/dup, or attaching a fix)
would stop it from doing/sending bisection.

"Original crash happened a long time ago" is not necessary a good
signal. On the syzbot dashboard
(https://syzkaller.appspot.com/upstream), you can see bugs with the
original crash 2+ years ago, but they are still pretty much relevant.
The default kernel development process strategy for invalidating bug
reports by burying them in oblivion has advantages, but also
downsides. FWIW syzbot prefers explicit status tracking.

Besides implications on the mainline development, consider the
following. We regularly discover the same bugs (missed backports) on
LTS kernels:
https://syzkaller.appspot.com/linux-4.14
https://syzkaller.appspot.com/linux-4.19
The dashboard also shows similar crash signatures in other tested
kernels. So say you see a crash in your product kernel, and you notice
that a similar crash happened on mainline some time ago, but
presumably it was fixed, but then you look at the bug report thread
and there is no info whatsoever as to what happened.
Now this bug report:
https://syzkaller.appspot.com/bug?extid=7e2ab84953e4084a638d
is linked to "general protection fault in kvm_lapic_hv_timer_in_use":
https://syzkaller.appspot.com/bug?id=0c330c4e475223a40d95f1d94c761357dd0f011f
which has a recorded fix "KVM: nVMX: Fix bad cleanup on error of
get/set nested state IOCTLs":
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=26b471c7e2f7befd0f59c35b257749ca57e0ed70

* Re: general protection fault in __schedule (2)
@ 2019-11-25 17:54       ` Sean Christopherson
From: Sean Christopherson @ 2019-11-25 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Vyukov
  Cc: syzbot, Casey Schaufler, Frederic Weisbecker, Greg Kroah-Hartman,

On Sat, Nov 23, 2019 at 06:15:15AM +0100, Dmitry Vyukov wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 22, 2019 at 9:54 PM Sean Christopherson
> <sean.j.christopherson@intel.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Nov 21, 2019 at 11:19:00PM -0800, syzbot wrote:
> > > syzbot has bisected this bug to:
> > >
> > > commit 8fcc4b5923af5de58b80b53a069453b135693304
> > > Author: Jim Mattson <jmattson@google.com>
> > > Date:   Tue Jul 10 09:27:20 2018 +0000
> > >
> > >     kvm: nVMX: Introduce KVM_CAP_NESTED_STATE
> > >
> > > bisection log:  https://syzkaller.appspot.com/x/bisect.txt?x=124cdbace00000
> > > start commit:   234b69e3 ocfs2: fix ocfs2 read block panic
> > > git tree:       upstream
> > > final crash:    https://syzkaller.appspot.com/x/report.txt?x=114cdbace00000
> > > console output: https://syzkaller.appspot.com/x/log.txt?x=164cdbace00000
> > > kernel config:  https://syzkaller.appspot.com/x/.config?x=5fa12be50bca08d8
> > > dashboard link: https://syzkaller.appspot.com/bug?extid=7e2ab84953e4084a638d
> > > syz repro:      https://syzkaller.appspot.com/x/repro.syz?x=150f0a4e400000
> > > C reproducer:   https://syzkaller.appspot.com/x/repro.c?x=17f67111400000
> > >
> > > Reported-by: syzbot+7e2ab84953e4084a638d@syzkaller.appspotmail.com
> > > Fixes: 8fcc4b5923af ("kvm: nVMX: Introduce KVM_CAP_NESTED_STATE")
> > >
> > > For information about bisection process see: https://goo.gl/tpsmEJ#bisection
> >
> > Is there a way to have syzbot stop processing/bisecting these things
> > after a reasonable amount of time?  The original crash is from August of
> > last year...
> >
> > Note, the original crash is actually due to KVM's put_kvm() fd race, but
> > whatever we want to blame, it's a duplicate.
> >
> > #syz dup: general protection fault in kvm_lapic_hv_timer_in_use
>
> Hi Sean,
>
> syzbot only sends bisection results to open bugs with no known fixes.
> So what you did (marking the bug as invalid/dup, or attaching a fix)
> would stop it from doing/sending bisection.
>
> "Original crash happened a long time ago" is not necessary a good
> signal. On the syzbot dashboard
> (https://syzkaller.appspot.com/upstream), you can see bugs with the
> original crash 2+ years ago, but they are still pretty much relevant.
> The default kernel development process strategy for invalidating bug
> reports by burying them in oblivion has advantages, but also
> downsides. FWIW syzbot prefers explicit status tracking.

I have no objection to explicit status tracking or getting pinged on old
open bugs.  I suppose I don't even mind the belated bisection, I'd probably
whine if syzbot didn't do the bisection :-).

What's annoying is the report doesn't provide any information about when it
originally occured or on what kernel it originally failed.  It didn't occur
to me that the original bug might be a year old and I only realized it was
from an old kernel when I saw "4.19.0-rc4+" in the dashboard's sample crash
log.  Knowing that the original crash was a year old would have saved me
5-10 minutes of getting myself oriented.

Could syzbot provide the date and reported kernel version (assuming the
kernel version won't be misleading) of the original failure in its reports?

* Re: general protection fault in __schedule (2)
@ 2019-11-28  9:53         ` Dmitry Vyukov
From: Dmitry Vyukov @ 2019-11-28  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sean Christopherson, syzkaller
  Cc: syzbot, Casey Schaufler, Frederic Weisbecker, Greg Kroah-Hartman,
	H. Peter Anvin, Jim Mattson, James Morris, Raslan, KarimAllah,
	Kate Stewart, KVM list, LKML, linux-security-module, Ingo Molnar,
	Ingo Molnar, Pavel Tatashin, Paolo Bonzini, Philippe Ombredanne,
	Radim Krčmář,
	Serge E. Hallyn, syzkaller-bugs, Thomas Gleixner,
	the arch/x86 maintainers

On Mon, Nov 25, 2019 at 6:54 PM Sean Christopherson
<sean.j.christopherson@intel.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 23, 2019 at 06:15:15AM +0100, Dmitry Vyukov wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 22, 2019 at 9:54 PM Sean Christopherson
> > <sean.j.christopherson@intel.com> wrote:

> > > Is there a way to have syzbot stop processing/bisecting these things
> > > after a reasonable amount of time?  The original crash is from August of
> > > last year...
> > >
> > > Note, the original crash is actually due to KVM's put_kvm() fd race, but
> > > whatever we want to blame, it's a duplicate.
> > >
> > > #syz dup: general protection fault in kvm_lapic_hv_timer_in_use
> >
> > Hi Sean,
> >
> > syzbot only sends bisection results to open bugs with no known fixes.
> > So what you did (marking the bug as invalid/dup, or attaching a fix)
> > would stop it from doing/sending bisection.
> >
> > "Original crash happened a long time ago" is not necessary a good
> > signal. On the syzbot dashboard
> > (https://syzkaller.appspot.com/upstream), you can see bugs with the
> > original crash 2+ years ago, but they are still pretty much relevant.
> > The default kernel development process strategy for invalidating bug
> > reports by burying them in oblivion has advantages, but also
> > downsides. FWIW syzbot prefers explicit status tracking.
>
> I have no objection to explicit status tracking or getting pinged on old
> open bugs.  I suppose I don't even mind the belated bisection, I'd probably
> whine if syzbot didn't do the bisection :-).
>
> What's annoying is the report doesn't provide any information about when it
> originally occured or on what kernel it originally failed.  It didn't occur
> to me that the original bug might be a year old and I only realized it was
> from an old kernel when I saw "4.19.0-rc4+" in the dashboard's sample crash
> log.  Knowing that the original crash was a year old would have saved me
> 5-10 minutes of getting myself oriented.
>
> Could syzbot provide the date and reported kernel version (assuming the
> kernel version won't be misleading) of the original failure in its reports?

+syzkaller mailing list for syzbot discussion

We tried to provide some aggregate info in email reports long time ago
(like trees where it occurred, number of crashes). The problem was
that any such info captured in emails become stale very quickly. E.g.
later somebody looks at the report and thinking "oh, linux-next only"
or "it happened only once", but maybe it's not for a long time. E.g.
if we say "it last happened 3 months" ago, maybe it's just happened
again once we send it... While this "emails always provide latest
updates" works for kernel in other context b/c updates provided by
humans and there is no other source of truth; it does not play well
with automated systems, or syzbot will need to send several emails per
second, because it's really the rate at which things change.

If we add some info, which one should it be? The original crash, the
one used for bisection, or the latest one? All these are different...
syzbot does not know "4.19.0-rc4+" strings for commits, it generally
identifies commits by hashes. There are dates, but then again which
one? Author or commit? Author is what generally shown, but I remember
a number of patches where Author date is 1.5 years old for just merged
commits :)

There is another problem: if we stuff too many info into emails,
people still stop reading them. This is very serious and real concern.
If you have 1000-page manual, it's well documented, but it's
equivalent to no docs at all, nobody is reading 1000 pages to find 1
bit of info. Especially if you don't know that there is an important
bit that you need to find in the first place...

What would be undoubtedly positive is presenting information on the
dashboard better (If we find a way).
Currently the page says near the top:

First crash: 478d, last: 430d

The idea was that "last: 430d" is supposed to communicate the bit of
info that confused you. Is it what you were looking for? Is there a
better way to present it?

Unfortunately most of such problems are much harder if extended beyond
1 concrete case...

* Re: general protection fault in __schedule (2)
@ 2019-12-02 16:56           ` Sean Christopherson
From: Sean Christopherson @ 2019-12-02 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Vyukov
  Cc: syzkaller, syzbot, Casey Schaufler, Frederic Weisbecker,
	Greg Kroah-Hartman, H. Peter Anvin, Jim Mattson, James Morris,

On Thu, Nov 28, 2019 at 10:53:10AM +0100, Dmitry Vyukov wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 25, 2019 at 6:54 PM Sean Christopherson
> <sean.j.christopherson@intel.com> wrote:
> > I have no objection to explicit status tracking or getting pinged on old
> > open bugs.  I suppose I don't even mind the belated bisection, I'd probably
> > whine if syzbot didn't do the bisection :-).
> >
> > What's annoying is the report doesn't provide any information about when it
> > originally occured or on what kernel it originally failed.  It didn't occur
> > to me that the original bug might be a year old and I only realized it was
> > from an old kernel when I saw "4.19.0-rc4+" in the dashboard's sample crash
> > log.  Knowing that the original crash was a year old would have saved me
> > 5-10 minutes of getting myself oriented.
> >
> > Could syzbot provide the date and reported kernel version (assuming the
> > kernel version won't be misleading) of the original failure in its reports?
>
> +syzkaller mailing list for syzbot discussion
>
> We tried to provide some aggregate info in email reports long time ago
> (like trees where it occurred, number of crashes). The problem was
> that any such info captured in emails become stale very quickly. E.g.
> later somebody looks at the report and thinking "oh, linux-next only"
> or "it happened only once", but maybe it's not for a long time. E.g.
> if we say "it last happened 3 months" ago, maybe it's just happened
> again once we send it... While this "emails always provide latest
> updates" works for kernel in other context b/c updates provided by
> humans and there is no other source of truth; it does not play well
> with automated systems, or syzbot will need to send several emails per
> second, because it's really the rate at which things change.
>
> If we add some info, which one should it be? The original crash, the
> one used for bisection, or the latest one? All these are different...
> syzbot does not know "4.19.0-rc4+" strings for commits, it generally
> identifies commits by hashes. There are dates, but then again which
> one? Author or commit? Author is what generally shown, but I remember
> a number of patches where Author date is 1.5 years old for just merged
> commits :)
>
> There is another problem: if we stuff too many info into emails,
> people still stop reading them. This is very serious and real concern.
> If you have 1000-page manual, it's well documented, but it's
> equivalent to no docs at all, nobody is reading 1000 pages to find 1
> bit of info. Especially if you don't know that there is an important
> bit that you need to find in the first place...
>
> What would be undoubtedly positive is presenting information on the
> dashboard better (If we find a way).
> Currently the page says near the top:
>
> First crash: 478d, last: 430d
>
> The idea was that "last: 430d" is supposed to communicate the bit of
> info that confused you. Is it what you were looking for? Is there a
> better way to present it?

Ah, yes, that's what I was looking for.  Tweaking the presention of the
dashboard and/or email reports, e.g. to encourage readers to go to the
dashboard in the first place, would definitely help.  A few ideas:

  - Display the first/last crash dates in yyyy/mm/dd format rather than
    showing the number of days since failure.  I didn't even realize 478d
    and 430d were relative dates until your email, though that's probably
    more my failing than syzbot's :-)

  - On the dashboard page, separate the basic crash info from the bisection
    details, e.g. display the basic crash info using the same table format
    as "Duplicate of" and "similar bugs", and/or move the bisection details
    below the aforementioned tables.  The basic info stands out fairly well
    when there aren't bisection details, but for bugs with bisection info
    the combined info becomes a wall of text that my eyes tend to skip over.

  - Don't rely on the recipients of bisection reports having the original
    crash report, e.g. use the dashboard link to reference the crash and
    always display it at the top, maybe isolated via whitespace.  The other
    auto-generated reports could use a similar format to teach folks that
    the dashboard link is the canonical reference.

    For example, on bisection show:

      syzbot has bisected crash:

        https://syzkaller.appspot.com/bug?extid=7e2ab84953e4084a638d

      first bad commit:

        commit 8fcc4b5923af5de58b80b53a069453b135693304

      Author: Jim Mattson <jmattson@google.com>
      Date:   Tue Jul 10 09:27:20 2018 +0000

          kvm: nVMX: Introduce KVM_CAP_NESTED_STATE

      bisection log:  https://syzkaller.appspot.com/x/bisect.txt?x=124cdbace00000
      start commit:   234b69e3 ocfs2: fix ocfs2 read block panic
      git tree:       upstream
      final crash:    https://syzkaller.appspot.com/x/report.txt?x=114cdbace00000
      console output: https://syzkaller.appspot.com/x/log.txt?x=164cdbace00000
      kernel config:  https://syzkaller.appspot.com/x/.config?x=5fa12be50bca08d8
      dashboard link: https://syzkaller.appspot.com/bug?extid=7e2ab84953e4084a638d
      syz repro:      https://syzkaller.appspot.com/x/repro.syz?x=150f0a4e400000
      C reproducer:   https://syzkaller.appspot.com/x/repro.c?x=17f67111400000

  And a similar format for the initial crash report:

      syzbot found the following crash:

        https://syzkaller.appspot.com/bug?extid=00be5da1d75f1cc95f6b

      HEAD commit:    ad062195 Merge tag 'platform-drivers-x86-v5.4-1' of git://..
      git tree:       upstream
      console output: https://syzkaller.appspot.com/x/log.txt?x=154910ad600000
      kernel config:  https://syzkaller.appspot.com/x/.config?x=f9fc16a6374d5fd0
      compiler:       gcc (GCC) 9.0.0 20181231 (experimental)

      Unfortunately, I don't have any reproducer for this crash yet.

  vs.

      syzbot found the following crash on:

      dashboard link: https://syzkaller.appspot.com/bug?extid=00be5da1d75f1cc95f6b