linux-serial.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Doug Anderson <dianders@chromium.org>
To: Sumit Garg <sumit.garg@linaro.org>
Cc: Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@linuxfoundation.org>,
	Daniel Thompson <daniel.thompson@linaro.org>,
	linux-serial@vger.kernel.org,
	kgdb-bugreport@lists.sourceforge.net,
	Jiri Slaby <jslaby@suse.com>,
	Russell King - ARM Linux admin <linux@armlinux.org.uk>,
	Jason Wessel <jason.wessel@windriver.com>,
	linux-arm-kernel <linux-arm-kernel@lists.infradead.org>
Subject: Re: [RFC 0/5] Introduce NMI aware serial drivers
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2020 08:27:04 -0700	[thread overview]

Hi,

On Wed, Aug 12, 2020 at 7:53 AM Sumit Garg <sumit.garg@linaro.org> wrote:

> Hi Doug,
>
> On Tue, 11 Aug 2020 at 22:46, Doug Anderson <dianders@chromium.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Tue, Aug 11, 2020 at 7:58 AM Greg Kroah-Hartman
> > <gregkh@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

> > It's been on my list for a while.  I started it Friday but ran out of
> > time.  This week hasn't been going as smoothly as I hoped but I'll
> > prioritize this since it's been too long.
> >

> No worries and thanks for your feedback.

> > > My feedback here is this:

> > > :)

> > > Yes, try to do that, or better yet, make it work with all serial drivers
> > > automatically.
> >
> > A bit of early feedback...
> >
> > Although I'm not sure we can do Greg's "make it work everywhere
> > automatically", it's possible you could get half of your patch done
> > automatically.  Specifically, your patch really does two things:
> >
> > a) It leaves the serial port "active" all the time to look for sysrq.
> > In other words even if there is no serial client it's always reading
> > the port looking for characters.  IMO this concept should be separated
> > out from the NMI concept and _could_ automatically work for all serial
> > drivers.  You'd just need something in the serial core that acted like
> > a default client if nobody else opened the serial port.  The nice
> > thing here is that we go through all the normal code paths and don't
> > need special cases in the driver.
>
> Okay, will try to explore this option to have default serial port
> client. Would this client be active in normal serial operation or only
> active when we have kgdb active? One drawback I see for normal
> operation could be power management as if user is not using serial
> port and would like to disable corresponding clock in order to reduce
> power consumption.

If I could pick the ideal, I'd say we'd do it any time the console is
configured for that port and magic sysrq is enabled.  Presumably if
they're already choosing to output kernel log messages to the serial
port and they've enabled magic sysrq they're in a state where they'd
be OK with the extra power of also listening for characters?

> > b) It enables NMI for your particular serial driver.  This seems like
> > it'd be hard to do automatically because you can't do the same things
> > at NMI that you could do in a normal interrupt handler.
>
> Agree.
>

> > NOTE: to me, a) is more important than b) (though it'd be nice to have
> > both).  This would be especially true the earlier you could make a)
> > work since the main time when an "agetty" isn't running on my serial
> > port to read characters is during bootup.
> >
> > Why is b) less important to me? Sure, it would let you drop into the
> > debugger in the case where the CPU handling serial port interrupts is
> > hung with IRQs disabled, but it _woudln't_ let you drop into the
> > debugger in the case where a different CPU is hung with IRQs disabled.
> > To get that we need NMI roundup (which, I know, you are also working
> > on for arm64).  ...and, if we've got NMI roundup, presumably we can
> > find our way into the debugger by either moving the serial interrupt
> > to a different CPU ahead of time or using some type of lockup detector
> > (which I know you are also working on for arm64).
> >

> Thanks for sharing your preferences. I will try to get a) sorted out first.
>
> Overall I agree with your approaches to debug hard-lockup scenarios
> but they might not be so trivial for kernel engineers who doesn't
> posses kernel debugging experience as you do. :)
>
> And I still think NMI aware magic sysrq is useful for scenarios such as:
> - Try to get system information during hard-lockup rather than just
> panic via hard-lockup detection.
> - Do normal start/stop debugger activity on a core which was stuck in
> hard-lockup.
> - Random boot freezes which are not easily reproducible.

Don't get me wrong.  Having sysrq from NMI seems like a good feature
to me.  That being said, it will require non-trivial changes to each
serial driver to support it and that means that not all serial drivers
will support it.  It also starts requiring knowledge of how NMIs work
(what's allowed in NMI mode / not allowed / how to avoid races) for
authors of serial drivers.  I have a bit of a worry that the benefit
won't outweigh the extra complexity, but I guess time will tell.  One
last worry is that I assume that most people testing (and even
automated testing labs) will either always enable NMI or won't enable
NMI.  That means that everyone will be only testing one codepath or
the other and (given the complexity) the non-tested codepath will
break.

Hrm.  Along the lines of the above, though: almost no modern systems
are uniprocessor.  That means that even if one CPU is stuck with IRQs
off it's fairly likely that some other CPU is OK.  Presumably you'd
get almost as much benefit as your patch but with more done
automatically if you could figure out how to detect that the serial
interrupt isn't being serviced and re-route it to a different CPU.
...or possibly you could use some variant of the hard lockup detector
and move all interrupts off a locked up CPU?  You could make this an
option that's "default Y" when kgdb is turned on or something?