Hi Sam Am 26.04.23 um 21:21 schrieb Sam Ravnborg: > Hi Thomas. > > On Wed, Apr 26, 2023 at 03:04:15PM +0200, Thomas Zimmermann wrote: >> Fbdev provides helpers for framebuffer I/O, such as fb_readl(), >> fb_writel() or fb_memcpy_to_fb(). The implementation of each helper >> depends on the architecture. It's still all located in fbdev's main >> header file . Move all of it into each archtecture's >> , with shared code in . > > For once I think this cleanup is moving things in the wrong direction. > > The fb_* helpers predates the generic io.h support and try to > add a generic layer for read read / write operations. > > The right fix would be to migrate fb_* to use the io helpers > we have today - so we use the existing way to handle the architecture > specific details. I looked through the existing versions of the fb_() I/O helpers. They can apparently be implemented with the regular helpers of similar names. I'm not sure, but even Sparc looks compatible. At least these sbus_ functions seem to be equivalent to the __raw_() I/O helpers of similar names. Do you still have that Sparc emulator? > > From a quick look there seems to be some challenges but the current > helpers that re-do part of io.h is not the way forward and hiding them > in arch/include/asm/fb.h seems counter productive. Which challenges did you see? Best regards Thomas > > Sam -- Thomas Zimmermann Graphics Driver Developer SUSE Software Solutions Germany GmbH Frankenstrasse 146, 90461 Nuernberg, Germany GF: Ivo Totev, Andrew Myers, Andrew McDonald, Boudien Moerman HRB 36809 (AG Nuernberg)