Linux-SPDX Archive on lore.kernel.org
From: Thomas Gleixner <tglx@linutronix.de>
To: linux-spdx@vger.kernel.org
Subject: [ASIS-2 patch 0/2] Deep review of 'AS IS' disclaimers - part 2
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2019 14:43:51 +0200

This is the second variant of disclaimer modifications. Two patterns which
express it different, but similar:

Standard disclaimer:

    this program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful
    but without any warranty without even the implied warranty of
    merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose

Modified disclaimer 1:

    software distributed under the license is distributed on an as is basis
    without warranty of any kind either express or implied see the license
    for the specific language governing rights and limitations under the
    license

Modified disclaimer 2:

   this driver software is distributed as is without any warranty of any
   kind either express or implied as further specified in the gnu public
   license

Both are explicitely under GPLv2 and both refer to the specific disclaimer
wording in the GPLv2 license.

So as with ASIS-1, I don't see anything contradicting or substantially
different.

In case we agree on that, I would amend the changelogs of the individual
patches with a paragraph explaining our conclusion. Something along the
lines:

    The patterns deviate from the standard GPLv2 disclaimer, but the
    modifications do not expand beyond the standard disclaimer and the NO
    WARRANTY section of the GPLv2. So replacing the license notice
    including the modified disclaimers with the SPDX license identifier
    results in the same protections and conditions.

Feel free to suggest better wording or deeper explanation.

Thanks,

        tglx