linux-spdx.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* SPDX conversion under scripts/dtc/ of Linux Kernel
@ 2019-06-19 10:23 Masahiro Yamada
From: Masahiro Yamada @ 2019-06-19 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Gibson, Rob Herring, linux-spdx, Devicetree Compiler, DTML
	Frank Rowand

Hi.

In this development cycle of Linux kernel,
lots of files were converted to use SPDX
instead of the license boilerplate.

However.

Some files were imported from a different project,
and are periodically synchronized with the upstream.
Have we discussed what to do about this case?

For example, scripts/dtc/ is the case.

The files in scripts/dtc/ are synced with the upstream
device tree compiler.

Rob Herring periodically runs scripts/dtc/update-dtc-source.sh
to import outcome from the upstream.

The upstream DTC has not adopted SPDX yet.

Some files in Linux (e.g. scripts/dtc/dtc.c)
have been converted to SPDX.

So, they are out of sync now.

The license boilerplate will come back
when Rob runs scripts/dtc/update-dtc-source.sh
next time.

What shall we do?

[1] Convert upstream DTC to SPDX

This will be a happy solution if it is acceptable in DTC.
Since we cannot push the decision of the kernel to a different
project, this is totally up to David Gibson.

[2] Change scripts/dtc/update-dtc-source.sh to
    take care of the license block somehow

    synced with the upstream
    (and scripts/dtc/ should be excluded from the
     SPDX conversion tool.)

Or, what else?

--
Best Regards
Masahiro Yamada

* Re: SPDX conversion under scripts/dtc/ of Linux Kernel
@ 2019-06-19 12:59 ` Greg Kroah-Hartman
From: Greg Kroah-Hartman @ 2019-06-19 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Masahiro Yamada
  Cc: David Gibson, Rob Herring, linux-spdx, Devicetree Compiler, DTML,
	Linux Kernel Mailing List, Thomas Gleixner, Frank Rowand

On Wed, Jun 19, 2019 at 07:23:19PM +0900, Masahiro Yamada wrote:
> Hi.
>
> In this development cycle of Linux kernel,
> lots of files were converted to use SPDX
> instead of the license boilerplate.
>
> However.
>
> Some files were imported from a different project,
> and are periodically synchronized with the upstream.
> Have we discussed what to do about this case?
>

> For example, scripts/dtc/ is the case.
>
> The files in scripts/dtc/ are synced with the upstream
> device tree compiler.
>
> Rob Herring periodically runs scripts/dtc/update-dtc-source.sh
> to import outcome from the upstream.
>

> The upstream DTC has not adopted SPDX yet.
>
> Some files in Linux (e.g. scripts/dtc/dtc.c)
> have been converted to SPDX.
>
> So, they are out of sync now.
>
> The license boilerplate will come back
> when Rob runs scripts/dtc/update-dtc-source.sh
> next time.
>
> What shall we do?
>
> [1] Convert upstream DTC to SPDX
>
> This will be a happy solution if it is acceptable in DTC.
> Since we cannot push the decision of the kernel to a different
> project, this is totally up to David Gibson.

That's fine with me :)

> [2] Change scripts/dtc/update-dtc-source.sh to
>     take care of the license block somehow

That would also be good.

>     synced with the upstream
>     (and scripts/dtc/ should be excluded from the
>      SPDX conversion tool.)

nothing is being excluded from the SPDX conversions, sorry.  The goal is
to do this for every file in the kernel tree.  Otherwise it's pointless.

> Or, what else?

Rob remembers to keep those first lines of the files intact when doing
the next sync?

thanks,

greg k-h

* Re: SPDX conversion under scripts/dtc/ of Linux Kernel
@ 2019-06-19 15:39   ` Rob Herring
From: Rob Herring @ 2019-06-19 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Kroah-Hartman
  Cc: Masahiro Yamada, David Gibson, linux-spdx, Devicetree Compiler,
	DTML, Linux Kernel Mailing List, Thomas Gleixner, Frank Rowand

On Wed, Jun 19, 2019 at 6:59 AM Greg Kroah-Hartman
<gregkh@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 19, 2019 at 07:23:19PM +0900, Masahiro Yamada wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > In this development cycle of Linux kernel,
> > lots of files were converted to use SPDX
> > instead of the license boilerplate.
> >
> > However.
> >
> > Some files were imported from a different project,
> > and are periodically synchronized with the upstream.
> > Have we discussed what to do about this case?
> >

> > For example, scripts/dtc/ is the case.
> >
> > The files in scripts/dtc/ are synced with the upstream
> > device tree compiler.
> >
> > Rob Herring periodically runs scripts/dtc/update-dtc-source.sh
> > to import outcome from the upstream.
> >

> > The upstream DTC has not adopted SPDX yet.
> >
> > Some files in Linux (e.g. scripts/dtc/dtc.c)
> > have been converted to SPDX.
> >
> > So, they are out of sync now.
> >
> > The license boilerplate will come back
> > when Rob runs scripts/dtc/update-dtc-source.sh
> > next time.

Already has. It just happened and is in next. The policy is everything
is upstream first and any changes to dtc in the kernel are rejected.

> > What shall we do?
> >
> > [1] Convert upstream DTC to SPDX
> >
> > This will be a happy solution if it is acceptable in DTC.
> > Since we cannot push the decision of the kernel to a different
> > project, this is totally up to David Gibson.
>
> That's fine with me :)

I'll do the work if David is okay with it.

> > [2] Change scripts/dtc/update-dtc-source.sh to
> >     take care of the license block somehow
>
> That would also be good.

> >     synced with the upstream
> >     (and scripts/dtc/ should be excluded from the
> >      SPDX conversion tool.)
>
> nothing is being excluded from the SPDX conversions, sorry.  The goal is
> to do this for every file in the kernel tree.  Otherwise it's pointless.
>
> > Or, what else?
>
> Rob remembers to keep those first lines of the files intact when doing
> the next sync?

Patches to the import script are welcome. The only thing I have to
remember running the script is to add any new files. Otherwise, it's
scripted so I don't have to remember anything.

Rob

* Re: SPDX conversion under scripts/dtc/ of Linux Kernel
@ 2019-06-20  7:45     ` David Gibson
From: David Gibson @ 2019-06-20  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rob Herring
  Cc: Greg Kroah-Hartman, Masahiro Yamada, linux-spdx,
	Devicetree Compiler, DTML, Linux Kernel Mailing List,
	Thomas Gleixner, Frank Rowand