Linux-SPDX Archive on lore.kernel.org
 help / color / Atom feed
* SPDX conversion under scripts/dtc/ of Linux Kernel
@ 2019-06-19 10:23 Masahiro Yamada
  2019-06-19 12:59 ` Greg Kroah-Hartman
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 4+ messages in thread
From: Masahiro Yamada @ 2019-06-19 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Gibson, Rob Herring, linux-spdx, Devicetree Compiler, DTML
  Cc: Linux Kernel Mailing List, Greg Kroah-Hartman, Thomas Gleixner,
	Frank Rowand

Hi.

In this development cycle of Linux kernel,
lots of files were converted to use SPDX
instead of the license boilerplate.

However.

Some files were imported from a different project,
and are periodically synchronized with the upstream.
Have we discussed what to do about this case?


For example, scripts/dtc/ is the case.

The files in scripts/dtc/ are synced with the upstream
device tree compiler.

Rob Herring periodically runs scripts/dtc/update-dtc-source.sh
to import outcome from the upstream.


The upstream DTC has not adopted SPDX yet.

Some files in Linux (e.g. scripts/dtc/dtc.c)
have been converted to SPDX.

So, they are out of sync now.

The license boilerplate will come back
when Rob runs scripts/dtc/update-dtc-source.sh
next time.

What shall we do?

[1] Convert upstream DTC to SPDX

This will be a happy solution if it is acceptable in DTC.
Since we cannot push the decision of the kernel to a different
project, this is totally up to David Gibson.

[2] Change scripts/dtc/update-dtc-source.sh to
    take care of the license block somehow

[3] Go back to license boilerplate, and keep the files
    synced with the upstream
    (and scripts/dtc/ should be excluded from the
     SPDX conversion tool.)

Or, what else?

-- 
Best Regards
Masahiro Yamada

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* Re: SPDX conversion under scripts/dtc/ of Linux Kernel
  2019-06-19 10:23 SPDX conversion under scripts/dtc/ of Linux Kernel Masahiro Yamada
@ 2019-06-19 12:59 ` Greg Kroah-Hartman
  2019-06-19 15:39   ` Rob Herring
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 4+ messages in thread
From: Greg Kroah-Hartman @ 2019-06-19 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Masahiro Yamada
  Cc: David Gibson, Rob Herring, linux-spdx, Devicetree Compiler, DTML,
	Linux Kernel Mailing List, Thomas Gleixner, Frank Rowand

On Wed, Jun 19, 2019 at 07:23:19PM +0900, Masahiro Yamada wrote:
> Hi.
> 
> In this development cycle of Linux kernel,
> lots of files were converted to use SPDX
> instead of the license boilerplate.
> 
> However.
> 
> Some files were imported from a different project,
> and are periodically synchronized with the upstream.
> Have we discussed what to do about this case?
> 
> 
> For example, scripts/dtc/ is the case.
> 
> The files in scripts/dtc/ are synced with the upstream
> device tree compiler.
> 
> Rob Herring periodically runs scripts/dtc/update-dtc-source.sh
> to import outcome from the upstream.
> 
> 
> The upstream DTC has not adopted SPDX yet.
> 
> Some files in Linux (e.g. scripts/dtc/dtc.c)
> have been converted to SPDX.
> 
> So, they are out of sync now.
> 
> The license boilerplate will come back
> when Rob runs scripts/dtc/update-dtc-source.sh
> next time.
> 
> What shall we do?
> 
> [1] Convert upstream DTC to SPDX
> 
> This will be a happy solution if it is acceptable in DTC.
> Since we cannot push the decision of the kernel to a different
> project, this is totally up to David Gibson.

That's fine with me :)

> [2] Change scripts/dtc/update-dtc-source.sh to
>     take care of the license block somehow

That would also be good.

> [3] Go back to license boilerplate, and keep the files
>     synced with the upstream
>     (and scripts/dtc/ should be excluded from the
>      SPDX conversion tool.)

nothing is being excluded from the SPDX conversions, sorry.  The goal is
to do this for every file in the kernel tree.  Otherwise it's pointless.

> Or, what else?

Rob remembers to keep those first lines of the files intact when doing
the next sync?

thanks,

greg k-h

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* Re: SPDX conversion under scripts/dtc/ of Linux Kernel
  2019-06-19 12:59 ` Greg Kroah-Hartman
@ 2019-06-19 15:39   ` Rob Herring
  2019-06-20  7:45     ` David Gibson
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 4+ messages in thread
From: Rob Herring @ 2019-06-19 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Kroah-Hartman
  Cc: Masahiro Yamada, David Gibson, linux-spdx, Devicetree Compiler,
	DTML, Linux Kernel Mailing List, Thomas Gleixner, Frank Rowand

On Wed, Jun 19, 2019 at 6:59 AM Greg Kroah-Hartman
<gregkh@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Jun 19, 2019 at 07:23:19PM +0900, Masahiro Yamada wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > In this development cycle of Linux kernel,
> > lots of files were converted to use SPDX
> > instead of the license boilerplate.
> >
> > However.
> >
> > Some files were imported from a different project,
> > and are periodically synchronized with the upstream.
> > Have we discussed what to do about this case?
> >
> >
> > For example, scripts/dtc/ is the case.
> >
> > The files in scripts/dtc/ are synced with the upstream
> > device tree compiler.
> >
> > Rob Herring periodically runs scripts/dtc/update-dtc-source.sh
> > to import outcome from the upstream.
> >
> >
> > The upstream DTC has not adopted SPDX yet.
> >
> > Some files in Linux (e.g. scripts/dtc/dtc.c)
> > have been converted to SPDX.
> >
> > So, they are out of sync now.
> >
> > The license boilerplate will come back
> > when Rob runs scripts/dtc/update-dtc-source.sh
> > next time.

Already has. It just happened and is in next. The policy is everything
is upstream first and any changes to dtc in the kernel are rejected.

> >
> > What shall we do?
> >
> > [1] Convert upstream DTC to SPDX
> >
> > This will be a happy solution if it is acceptable in DTC.
> > Since we cannot push the decision of the kernel to a different
> > project, this is totally up to David Gibson.
>
> That's fine with me :)

I'll do the work if David is okay with it.

> > [2] Change scripts/dtc/update-dtc-source.sh to
> >     take care of the license block somehow
>
> That would also be good.
>
> > [3] Go back to license boilerplate, and keep the files
> >     synced with the upstream
> >     (and scripts/dtc/ should be excluded from the
> >      SPDX conversion tool.)
>
> nothing is being excluded from the SPDX conversions, sorry.  The goal is
> to do this for every file in the kernel tree.  Otherwise it's pointless.
>
> > Or, what else?
>
> Rob remembers to keep those first lines of the files intact when doing
> the next sync?

Patches to the import script are welcome. The only thing I have to
remember running the script is to add any new files. Otherwise, it's
scripted so I don't have to remember anything.

Rob

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* Re: SPDX conversion under scripts/dtc/ of Linux Kernel
  2019-06-19 15:39   ` Rob Herring
@ 2019-06-20  7:45     ` David Gibson
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 4+ messages in thread
From: David Gibson @ 2019-06-20  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rob Herring
  Cc: Greg Kroah-Hartman, Masahiro Yamada, linux-spdx,
	Devicetree Compiler, DTML, Linux Kernel Mailing List,
	Thomas Gleixner, Frank Rowand

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 2765 bytes --]

On Wed, Jun 19, 2019 at 09:39:13AM -0600, Rob Herring wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 19, 2019 at 6:59 AM Greg Kroah-Hartman
> <gregkh@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Jun 19, 2019 at 07:23:19PM +0900, Masahiro Yamada wrote:
> > > Hi.
> > >
> > > In this development cycle of Linux kernel,
> > > lots of files were converted to use SPDX
> > > instead of the license boilerplate.
> > >
> > > However.
> > >
> > > Some files were imported from a different project,
> > > and are periodically synchronized with the upstream.
> > > Have we discussed what to do about this case?
> > >
> > >
> > > For example, scripts/dtc/ is the case.
> > >
> > > The files in scripts/dtc/ are synced with the upstream
> > > device tree compiler.
> > >
> > > Rob Herring periodically runs scripts/dtc/update-dtc-source.sh
> > > to import outcome from the upstream.
> > >
> > >
> > > The upstream DTC has not adopted SPDX yet.
> > >
> > > Some files in Linux (e.g. scripts/dtc/dtc.c)
> > > have been converted to SPDX.
> > >
> > > So, they are out of sync now.
> > >
> > > The license boilerplate will come back
> > > when Rob runs scripts/dtc/update-dtc-source.sh
> > > next time.
> 
> Already has. It just happened and is in next. The policy is everything
> is upstream first and any changes to dtc in the kernel are rejected.
> 
> > >
> > > What shall we do?
> > >
> > > [1] Convert upstream DTC to SPDX
> > >
> > > This will be a happy solution if it is acceptable in DTC.
> > > Since we cannot push the decision of the kernel to a different
> > > project, this is totally up to David Gibson.
> >
> > That's fine with me :)
> 
> I'll do the work if David is okay with it.

I have no objection.


> > > [2] Change scripts/dtc/update-dtc-source.sh to
> > >     take care of the license block somehow
> >
> > That would also be good.
> >
> > > [3] Go back to license boilerplate, and keep the files
> > >     synced with the upstream
> > >     (and scripts/dtc/ should be excluded from the
> > >      SPDX conversion tool.)
> >
> > nothing is being excluded from the SPDX conversions, sorry.  The goal is
> > to do this for every file in the kernel tree.  Otherwise it's pointless.
> >
> > > Or, what else?
> >
> > Rob remembers to keep those first lines of the files intact when doing
> > the next sync?
> 
> Patches to the import script are welcome. The only thing I have to
> remember running the script is to add any new files. Otherwise, it's
> scripted so I don't have to remember anything.
> 
> Rob
> 

-- 
David Gibson			| I'll have my music baroque, and my code
david AT gibson.dropbear.id.au	| minimalist, thank you.  NOT _the_ _other_
				| _way_ _around_!
http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]
[-- Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 833 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

end of thread, back to index

Thread overview: 4+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2019-06-19 10:23 SPDX conversion under scripts/dtc/ of Linux Kernel Masahiro Yamada
2019-06-19 12:59 ` Greg Kroah-Hartman
2019-06-19 15:39   ` Rob Herring
2019-06-20  7:45     ` David Gibson

Linux-SPDX Archive on lore.kernel.org

Archives are clonable:
	git clone --mirror https://lore.kernel.org/linux-spdx/0 linux-spdx/git/0.git

	# If you have public-inbox 1.1+ installed, you may
	# initialize and index your mirror using the following commands:
	public-inbox-init -V2 linux-spdx linux-spdx/ https://lore.kernel.org/linux-spdx \
		linux-spdx@vger.kernel.org linux-spdx@archiver.kernel.org
	public-inbox-index linux-spdx


Newsgroup available over NNTP:
	nntp://nntp.lore.kernel.org/org.kernel.vger.linux-spdx


AGPL code for this site: git clone https://public-inbox.org/ public-inbox