linux-spdx.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* [ASIS-3 patch 0/2] Deep review of 'AS IS' disclaimers - part 3
@ 2019-06-05 13:01 Thomas Gleixner
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Thomas Gleixner @ 2019-06-05 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-spdx

This is the third variant of disclaimer modifications.

Standard disclaimer:

    this program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful
    but without any warranty without even the implied warranty of
    merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose

Modified disclaimer:

    the file is distributed as is without warranty of any kind and the
    implied warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular
    purpose are expressly disclaimed the license provides additional
    details about this warranty disclaimer

Both patches refer explicitely to GPLv2.

So as with ASIS-2, I don't see anything contradicting or substantially
different.

In case we agree on that, I would amend the changelogs of the individual
patches with a paragraph explaining our conclusion. Something along the
lines:

    The pattern deviates from the standard GPLv2 disclaimer, but the
    modifications do not expand beyond the standard disclaimer and the NO
    WARRANTY section of the GPLv2. So replacing the license notice
    including the modified disclaimer with the SPDX license identifier
    results in the same protections and conditions.

Feel free to suggest better wording or deeper explanation.

Thanks,

        tglx