On Mon, Nov 04, 2013 at 10:43:03PM +0100, Martin Sperl wrote: > again: first the dma-engine part would need to be upstream before I assume > you would accept to merge the driver, as the functionality would NOT work > otherwise. So we talk about 3.15 at the very earliest... Well, v3.14 should be possible - we're just coming up to the merge window for v3.13 so v3.14 is still wide open. > So is the presented idea an approach to move forward on? > Or do you have a better approach which we could follow to get us out of this > tie? I think the current approach seems fine. > /* generic wrapper functions for device drivers to use */ > static int bcm2835dma_spi_prepare_message(struct spi_device *spi, > struct spi_message *msg) > { > if(spi->master->prepare_message) { > return spi->master->prepare_message(spi,msg); > } else { > return 0; > } > } Like I said earlier I'm concerned about the idea of drivers calling these functions directly, this should all be factored out of drivers since there's nothing really driver specific here.