On Thu, Oct 09, 2014 at 02:19:09PM -0500, Thor Thayer wrote: > There are quite a few instances of the spidev as a child of a spi node in > the arch/arm/dts directory > - imx6qdl-tx6.dtsi > - imx53-tx53.dtsi > - tegra30-apalis-eval.dts > - spear1340-evb.dts > I believe the reason these are added to the device tree is that they are > automatically probed. These are all buggy - the DT is there to describe the hardware, not how Linux currently implements it. I see I need to add some code to spidev to make it complain loudy if instantiated from DT. > If there is a different or better way to handle spidev, I'll be happy to do > it. This seemed to be the cleanest way and had precedent. The DT should say what the physical device connected to the bus is using whatever binding is appropriate for that device. If that happens to be spidev in current Linux then the appropriate ID should be added to spidev.