On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 10:21:51PM +0000, Trent Piepho wrote: > So that's the problem! I, like everyone else I suspect, switched to > using GPIO chip selects with this driver because of this. I narrowed That's generally a good idea. > it down to a CS de-assert when the bus switched from TX to RX, which of > course makes a SPI register read fail on most devices. The TX FIFO > would empty at this point, so that would explain it. > Did the designers of this IP ever read a SPI device datasheet??? > Got to agree with Mark Brown, why would anyone ever want to NOT have it > work properly? The previous behavior is not "alternate correct", it's > Broken. This isn't even that unusual an innovation for hardware to have, for some reason automatic chip select management is *really* popular and rarely helpful. It's far from the most entertaining thing I've seen hardware do.