On Thu, Mar 05, 2020 at 03:00:22PM +0200, Vladimir Oltean wrote: > On Thu, 5 Mar 2020 at 14:12, Mark Brown wrote: > > This is a fix and so should have been at the start of the series to make > > sure there aren't any dependencies. > My reasoning for not submitting it as a fix is: > - The only driver that uses the functionality so far - spi-fsl-dspi - > has worked thus far even with the limitation that only byte-by-byte > transfers were supported properly. > - I removed the limitation before actually changing the operating mode > of spi-fsl-dspi. Therefore the limitation is effectively never seen. > - New SPI drivers that would want to make use of software timestamping > would do so through your SPI for-next branch anyway, where the > limitation would be, again, fixed. That's mostly all true but it's still better to pull fixes like this (or the patch limiting the size) forwards and not have to think if it's safe to not apply them as a fix, it's less effort all round.