linux-spi.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Pierre Ossman <drzeus-mmc-p3sGCRWkH8CeZLLa646FqQ@public.gmane.org>
To: David Brownell <david-b-yBeKhBN/0LDR7s880joybQ@public.gmane.org>
Cc: spi-devel-general-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f@public.gmane.org,
	Mikael Starvik <mikael.starvik-VrBV9hrLPhE@public.gmane.org>,
	Hans-Peter Nilsson
	<hans-peter.nilsson-VrBV9hrLPhE@public.gmane.org>,
	Mike Lavender
	<mike-UTnDXsALFwNjMdQLN6DIHgC/G2K4zDHf@public.gmane.org>
Subject: Re: [patch 4/4] MMC-over-SPI host driver
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 18:20:48 +0200	[thread overview]

David Brownell wrote:

> If the MMC core and block code change more, many can go.  Remember
> that I was making such core changes in small, safe doses!
>
> Right now it looks like the main reason to keep including mmc.h is
> to handle one aspect of mapping the data error token.  Four of its
> bits are part of normal R2 response, suitable for shift-and-mask
> handling, but the 0x10 bit seems to be vendor specific ... so for
> now, if that's set I map it to R2_SPI_ERROR (generic "it broke")
> and use that symbol to avoid excess magic numbers.

Don't map at all. Just give the core what you got from the card.

>> 	 I suggest another feel
>> to the ios structure. And drop the CAP_CRC, we'll consider CRC support mandatory
>> (even though you can have the option of turning it off in runtime).
>
> That's not a complete description.  :)
> You're thinking of something like this?
>
>  - always do the (dirt cheap) crc7 in the command;
>  - move the module parameter into mmc core, default spi_crc=y;
>  - add mmc_ios.spi_crc, initialized to match the module parameter;
>  - mmc_spi_set_crc() uses that parameter; and
>  - mmc_spi host will use that instead of its current use_crc, to
>    tell whether it should init or verify datablock CRC16 values.

Yes. It more clearly separates mechanism (the host driver) from policy (the mmc
core).

> Except this doesn't seem like an ios-style thing to me... that's
> on top of me disliking that confusing and error-prone "check N
> parameters to see which ones should change this time" API style.

I'm no fan of this ios thing either, but it's what we've got and it hasn't been
worth the effort to rewrite it yet.

> Having a simple flag in mmc_host would be much better.

Perhaps. But there's a lot of value in consistency.

> I'll leave a #define pending a better solution though.
> Maybe MMC_ERRNO_BADCRC not ECRC?

Well, since we're scrapping those custom error codes, then that's probably not a
good idea. We can hold off on this issue until that mess is sorted out.

> After changing the existing usage of that code, and assuming
> that code becomes reserved for that role within the MMC stack...

Overloading use of errno:s is rather common. Just look at ETIMEDOUT.

> It *IS* already encoded in the request:  only multiblock writes
> need to use that token.  Likewise they use special start tokens
> for each block.  And in the same way, other data blocks use a
> third kind of start token; and may have data-dependent CRC values.
> All such values are managed below the core.
>
> This is just something that a person adding SET_BLOCK_COUNT
> support (CMD23, for MMC only) would need to worry about.  And
> that command seems to be "reserved" in more documents than not,
> so it's unlikely to ever matter.  I updated that comment.

Well, that person shouldn't have to worry about it as the host driver should
service all valid requests.

>>> No.
>>>
>> Why not? It would allow us to keep higher protocol semantics (which varying
>> delays depending on opcodes is after all) in the core.
>
> Well for starters, it's packaged in the mmc_ios which holds things that
> don't change between requests, but SPI chipselect always goes active at
> the beginning of every request and then goes inactive when it's done.

Who said mmc_ios doesn't change between requests? And as your code states, it
isn't as simple as keeping it on during just the request.

> It seems the only reason to have it in mmc_ios is to help work around
> some wbsd quirks during card enumeration.  Other controllers manage to
> keep that signal pulled up until entering 4-wire mode.

We try to think a bit more general than that, even though it was first
implemented because the wbsd driver needed it.

Rgds
--
     -- Pierre Ossman

  Linux kernel, MMC maintainer        http://www.kernel.org